Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Laura

Default Comparing columns in 2 different worksheets, IF Function

Hi there,

I have two seperate worksheets, one contains external data related to all
installs of our product in our customers stores. The other spreadsheet is an
internal worksheet with all the information we have on all the stores. I need
to see if there are any stores listed on the external worksheet that are not
currently on our internal worksheet so that I can then copy the information
over.

Both worksheets use the same identifier and this is what I am trying to do
the comparison on.

I was told that the IF function could be used to do this, however, I cant
get it to work.

Any ideas?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
SteveG

Laura,

Try this in your external data sheet. Insert a column to the right of
your identifying column. In this case I used A as the Company
identifier.

=IF(ISERROR(INDEX(Internal!$A$1:$A$11,MATCH(extern al!A3,Internal!$A$1:$A$11,0))),"Not
Found", "Found")

This will put Found or Not Found based on your list of internal id's.
If you want, you can then conditionally format the identifiers to color
the row if Not Found is populated. Select the entire row and
FormatConditional Format

Formula is: =$B2="Not Found", select your formatting. Use the format
painter to copy this down all of your rows making it easier to identify
the missing data.

HTH

Steve

--
SteveG
SteveG's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=7571

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dave Peterson

I would bet that the =match() portion is the part that's doing all the real
work.

maybe just checking that would be sufficient:

=if(iserror(match(external!a3,internal!$a$1:$A$11, 0)),"Not found","Found")