Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Richard Walker

Default finding cells with data within a row...

In a given row, I may have data in one or more of 12 columns. Is there a
way, with a formula, that I can determine which cells in that row contain
data? Or, alternately, starting at a given column, is there a formula that
can determine the first cell that contains data?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bernard Liengme

COUNT will report the number of cell in a range with numbers
COUNTA will report the number of non-blank cell sin a range

--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"Richard Walker" wrote in message
In a given row, I may have data in one or more of 12 columns. Is there a
way, with a formula, that I can determine which cells in that row contain
data? Or, alternately, starting at a given column, is there a formula
that
can determine the first cell that contains data?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Richard Walker

Thank you Bernard,

However, I need to know the specific cell that contains data. For example,
in a row of 12 cells, I need to know not only that two cells contain data,
but that those cells are the third and eighth cells. Is there any good way
of doing this?

"Bernard Liengme" wrote:

COUNT will report the number of cell in a range with numbers
COUNTA will report the number of non-blank cell sin a range

--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme
remove caps from email

"Richard Walker" wrote in message
In a given row, I may have data in one or more of 12 columns. Is there a
way, with a formula, that I can determine which cells in that row contain
data? Or, alternately, starting at a given column, is there a formula
that
can determine the first cell that contains data?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Biff

Hi!

How do you want the results displayed?

Across a row:

3..........10..........12

Down a column:

3
10
12

Or, alternately, starting at a given column, is there a formula that
can determine the first cell that contains data?

Entered as an array using the key combo of CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER:

=MATCH(TRUE,A1:J1<"",0)

The result is relative to the range.

Biff

"Richard Walker" wrote in message
In a given row, I may have data in one or more of 12 columns. Is there a
way, with a formula, that I can determine which cells in that row contain
data? Or, alternately, starting at a given column, is there a formula
that
can determine the first cell that contains data?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Richard Walker

Default Excellent! Thanks Biff and Bernard!

It looks like "match" will work for me. Thank you both for your input!