-   -   finding cells with data within a row... (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/71970-finding-cells-data-within-row.html)

Richard Walker

finding cells with data within a row...

In a given row, I may have data in one or more of 12 columns. Is there a
way, with a formula, that I can determine which cells in that row contain
data? Or, alternately, starting at a given column, is there a formula that
can determine the first cell that contains data?

Bernard Liengme

finding cells with data within a row...

COUNT will report the number of cell in a range with numbers
COUNTA will report the number of non-blank cell sin a range

--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"Richard Walker" wrote in message
In a given row, I may have data in one or more of 12 columns. Is there a
way, with a formula, that I can determine which cells in that row contain
data? Or, alternately, starting at a given column, is there a formula
that
can determine the first cell that contains data?

Richard Walker

finding cells with data within a row...

Thank you Bernard,

However, I need to know the specific cell that contains data. For example,
in a row of 12 cells, I need to know not only that two cells contain data,
but that those cells are the third and eighth cells. Is there any good way
of doing this?

"Bernard Liengme" wrote:

COUNT will report the number of cell in a range with numbers
COUNTA will report the number of non-blank cell sin a range

--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme
remove caps from email

"Richard Walker" wrote in message
In a given row, I may have data in one or more of 12 columns. Is there a
way, with a formula, that I can determine which cells in that row contain
data? Or, alternately, starting at a given column, is there a formula
that
can determine the first cell that contains data?

Biff

finding cells with data within a row...

Hi!

How do you want the results displayed?

Across a row:

3..........10..........12

Down a column:

3
10
12

Or, alternately, starting at a given column, is there a formula that
can determine the first cell that contains data?

Entered as an array using the key combo of CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER:

=MATCH(TRUE,A1:J1<"",0)

The result is relative to the range.

Biff

"Richard Walker" wrote in message
In a given row, I may have data in one or more of 12 columns. Is there a
way, with a formula, that I can determine which cells in that row contain
data? Or, alternately, starting at a given column, is there a formula
that
can determine the first cell that contains data?

Bernard Liengme

finding cells with data within a row...

How and where is the data to be displayed? Very hard to put it in one cell.
best wishes
--

"Bernard Liengme" wrote:

COUNT will report the number of cell in a range with numbers
COUNTA will report the number of non-blank cell sin a range

--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme
remove caps from email

"Richard Walker" wrote in
message
In a given row, I may have data in one or more of 12 columns. Is there
way, with a formula, that I can determine which cells in that row
contain
data? Or, alternately, starting at a given column, is there a formula
that
can determine the first cell that contains data?

Richard Walker

Excellent! Thanks Biff and Bernard!

It looks like "match" will work for me. Thank you both for your input!