Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jeff

Default naming tabs

is there a simple way to have a tab on a worksheet the same as text in a
cell on that sheet ??
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

The following will work for Sheet1 with the tab name in cell A1.

Paste the following code into the code section of Sheet1:

sName = Sheets(1).Range("A1")
If sName = "" Then sName = "Sheet1"
Sheets(1).Name = sName

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Click on Tools - Macro - Visual Basic Editor

On the left should be a VBAProject Window. Expand the items listed
until you see Sheet1 (Sheet1). Double Click on Sheet1. A VBA Code
Window will open for Sheet1.

I hope this will help get you started.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Paul B

Jeff,
To put in this macro right click on the worksheet tab and view code, in the
window that opens paste this code, press Alt and Q to close this window and
to change the macro security settings to get the macro to run. To change the
security settings go to tools, macro, security, security level and set it to
medium

The code that was posted will work if your sheet is the first sheet in the
workbook, if not you may want to try this

If Target.Address = "$A$1" Then
If Target.Value < "" Then
On Error Resume Next
ActiveSheet.Name = Target.Value
On Error GoTo 0

Paul B
Using Excel 2002 & 2003

"Jeff" wrote in message
wrote:
The following will work for Sheet1 with the tab name in cell A1.

Paste the following code into the code section of Sheet1:

sName = Sheets(1).Range("A1")
If sName = "" Then sName = "Sheet1"
Sheets(1).Name = sName
End Sub

excuse my ignorance but what do you mean by "code section"

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jeff

Paul B wrote:
Jeff,
To put in this macro right click on the worksheet tab and view code, in the
window that opens paste this code, press Alt and Q to close this window and
to change the macro security settings to get the macro to run. To change the
security settings go to tools, macro, security, security level and set it to
medium

The code that was posted will work if your sheet is the first sheet in the
workbook, if not you may want to try this

If Target.Address = "$A$1" Then
If Target.Value < "" Then
On Error Resume Next
ActiveSheet.Name = Target.Value
On Error GoTo 0

Paul, this also works well thank you, can you advise me of a way of
using this or another formula to enable me to rename all sheets in a
work book ?? do I need to place this formula in all worksheets using the
VB editor ??
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Yes Click on Format - Conditional Formatting...

From here you can set the condition.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Paul B

Jeff, if you want to change all the sheets at one time try this

Sub Rename_All_Sheets()
'will rename all sheets in the workbook to the value in A1
Dim WS As Worksheet
For Each WS In Worksheets
WS.Name = WS.Range("A1").Value
Next
End Sub
To put in this macro, from your workbook right-click the workbook's icon and
pick View Code. This icon is to the left of the "File" menu this will open
the VBA editor, in Project Explorer click on your workbook name, if you
don't see it press CTRL + r to open the Project Explorer, then go to insert,
module, and paste the code in the window that opens on the right hand side,
press Alt and Q to close this window and go back to your workbook and press
alt and F8, this will bring up a box to pick the Macro from, click on the
Macro name to run it. If you are using excel 2000 or newer you may have to
change the macro security settings to get the macro to run. To change the
security settings go to tools, macro, security, security level and set it to
medium

If you want them to change names anytime you change A1 in a sheet then try
this
Private Sub Workbook_SheetChange(ByVal Sh As Object, ByVal Target As Range)
If Target.Address = "$A$1" Then
If Target.Value < "" Then
On Error Resume Next
ActiveSheet.Name = Target.Value
On Error GoTo 0

use the instructions above but put the code in the thisworkbook section

--
Paul B
Using Excel 2002 & 2003

"Jeff" wrote in message
Paul B wrote:
Jeff,
To put in this macro right click on the worksheet tab and view code, in

the
window that opens paste this code, press Alt and Q to close this window

and

have