TJ

Default How can I automate the naming of worksheet tabs?

I create many worksheets for accounts that have the same format. I name the
worksheets by the account number that corresponds to the worksheet. How can
I automate the naming of the worksheet tabs? I am unable to put any type of
formula in the worksheet tab that would reference the account numbers.
Paul Sheppard

TJ Wrote:
I create many worksheets for accounts that have the same format. I name
the
worksheets by the account number that corresponds to the worksheet.
How can
I automate the naming of the worksheet tabs? I am unable to put any
type of
formula in the worksheet tab that would reference the account numbers.

TJ

The following Macro will rename the sheet tabs to whatever is in cell
A1, just adjust it to the cell where your Account Number is and it will
rename the tabs to be the same as the account number

Sub update_all_names()
For Each sh In ActiveWorkbook.Sheets
sh.Activate
sh.Name = Cells(1, 1).Value <---(Cells (1,1) = A1, change as required
Next sh

Paul Sheppard
Paul Sheppard's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24783
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=392169

MarcusA

Paul,

I have the same scenario however, I have established a list of the account
numbers on a seperate sheet. How can I refer back to that sheet using your
macro?

"Paul Sheppard" wrote:

TJ Wrote:
[...]

Paul Sheppard

MarcusA Wrote:
Paul,

I have the same scenario however, I have established a list of the
account
numbers on a seperate sheet. How can I refer back to that sheet using
your
macro?

Hi Marcus

Try this, sorry it is not my code so I cannot explain how it works

Sub namesheets()
Dim arr As Variant
arr = Range("a2:a10").Value
For i = LBound(arr) To UBound(arr)
Sheets(i + 1).Activate
Sheets(i).Name = arr(i, 1)
Next i
End Sub

You will need to change the range to suit your data, line 3 currently
a2:a10
this will name the first 9 sheets in the workbook, so if you dont want
the worksheet with your account numbers renamed make sure it is to the
right of those you do want to rename

Save your file with a different name and have a play

--
Paul Sheppard

Paul Sheppard's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24783
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=392169

BitsofColour

Paul,
I copied your macro below and keep receiving a "debug" error....for some
reason its not liking tis part of the macro: sh.Name = Cells(2, 1).Value

Any suggestions???
Thanks!

"Paul Sheppard" wrote:

TJ Wrote:
[...]

Dave Peterson

Try this:

sh.Name = sh.Cells(2, 1).Value

But you should have a nice name in A2 of all the sheets--it has to be valid and
can't already be used.

"Paul Sheppard" wrote:

TJ Wrote:
[...]

BitsofColour

Ok, now I get run-time error '91' - object variable or with block variable
not set

The data I need the tab to mimick is actually in cell B1....so I changed the
cell to (1, 2) and still get the same error message....it doesn't appear to
agree with the "For Each sh In ActiveWorkbook.Sheets" part of the macro
now.....

Thanks for your help!

"Paul Sheppard" wrote:

TJ Wrote:
[...]

Dave Peterson

Try this version:

Sub update_all_names2()
dim sh as worksheet
For Each sh In ActiveWorkbook.workSheets
sh.Name = sh.Cells(2, 1).Value
Next sh
End Sub

There's a difference between Sheets and Worksheets. If you have a chartsheet in
your workbook, then that older version would fail.

In fact, a little error checking is usually a nice thing:

Option Explicit
Sub update_all_names3()
Dim sh As Worksheet
For Each sh In ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets
On Error Resume Next
sh.Name = sh.Cells(2, 1).Value
If Err.Number < 0 Then
MsgBox sh.Name & " wasn't renamed!"