The Good Deeds Team

Default Worksheet Tabs

I have a file that contains many workseet tabs.

The tables are numbered, like, 100, 200, 300, 400, 500, etc and represent
names of departments

An individual from a given department will open the workbook, and select
their respective tab.

If thier department number is at the end of the range, it is difficult for
them to scroll across the bottom of the workbook to find thier sheet tab.

Is there a better way to organize or find worksheet tabs?

Can worksheet tabs be listed down the left margin instead of across the
bottom?

Is there a way to create a "table of contents" or something similar that
will access the individual tabs?

I did see Views, create custom view, and this looks like it work work,
however since another program creates the excel workbook and all the tabs
each month, I would have to do a l;ot of manula editing to create a custom
view. Is there a better way?

hi,
what i would do is create start tab. on that sheet i would
create a button for each department and put their
department number as the buttons caption.
then for code behind the button i would put something like
Private sub cmd100_click()
Sheets("100").select
Range("A1").select
end sub
and do that for each button(department)
that way whoever opened the file could click their
department button and be taken to their sheet instantly.
repost to this thread if you have questions.
good luck

[...]

.

Gary Brown

In the lower left-hand corner of the worksheet are the directional buttons...
|< , < , , |
Right-click on these buttons and a list of all worksheets in the active
workbook will appear. Highlight the last one and hit enter.
HTH,
Gary Brown

" wrote:

[...]

Gary Brown

That said, here's a module that will create a Table of Contents worksheet
with a hyperlink to each worksheet.
HTH,
Gary Brown

'================================================= ====Public Sub
WorksheetNamesWithHyperLink()
'Create a separate worksheet with the name of each sheet
' in the workbook as a hyperlink to that sheet -
' i.e. a Table Of Contents
'07/25/2000 - allow for chart sheets
'05/07/2002 - add manual calculation
Dim aryHiddensheets()
Dim iRow As Integer, iColumn As Integer, y As Integer
Dim i As Integer, x As Integer, iSheets As Integer
Dim objOutputArea As Object
Dim strTableName As String, strSheetName As String
Dim strOrigCalcStatus As String

strTableName = "Table_of_Contents"

'save calculation setting
Select Case Application.Calculation
Case xlCalculationAutomatic
strOrigCalcStatus = "Automatic"
Case xlCalculationManual
strOrigCalcStatus = "Manual"
Case xlCalculationSemiautomatic
strOrigCalcStatus = "SemiAutomatic"
Case Else
strOrigCalcStatus = "Automatic"
End Select

'set workbook to manual

'Count number of sheets in workbook
iSheets = ActiveWorkbook.Sheets.Count

'redim array
ReDim aryHiddensheets(1 To iSheets)

'put hidden sheets in an array, then unhide the sheets
For x = 1 To iSheets
If Sheets(x).Visible = False Then
aryHiddensheets(x) = Sheets(x).name
Sheets(x).Visible = True
End If
Next

'Check for duplicate Sheet name
i = ActiveWorkbook.Sheets.Count
For x = 1 To i
If Windows.Count = 0 Then Exit Sub
If UCase(Sheets(x).name) = UCase(strTableName) Then
Sheets(x).Activate
If Err.Number = 9 Then
Exit For
End If
'turn warning messages off
Application.DisplayAlerts = False
ActiveWindow.SelectedSheets.Delete
'turn warning messages on
Application.DisplayAlerts = True
Exit For
End If
Next

'Add new sheet at end of workbook
' where results will be located
Sheets.Add.Move Befo=Sheets(1)

'Worksheets.Add.Move after:=Sheets(Sheets.Count)

'Name the new worksheet and set up Titles
ActiveWorkbook.ActiveSheet.name = strTableName
ActiveWorkbook.ActiveSheet.Range("A1").value = _
"Worksheet (hyperlink)"
ActiveWorkbook.ActiveSheet.Range("B1").value = _
"Visible / Hidden"
ActiveWorkbook.ActiveSheet.Range("C1").value = _
" Notes: "

're-hide previously hidden sheets
On Error Resume Next
y = UBound(aryHiddensheets)
For x = 1 To y
Sheets(aryHiddensheets(x)).Visible = False
Next

'Count number of sheets in workbook
iSheets = ActiveWorkbook.Sheets.Count

'Initialize row and column counts for putting
'info into StrTableName sheet
iRow = 1
iColumn = 0

Set objOutputArea = _
ActiveWorkbook.Sheets(strTableName).Range("A1")

'Check Sheet names
For x = 1 To iSheets
Sheets(x).Activate
strSheetName = ActiveSheet.name
'put information into StrTableName worksheet
With objOutputArea
If strSheetName < strTableName Then
.Offset(iRow, iColumn) = " " & strSheetName
If UCase(TypeName(ActiveSheet)) < "CHART" Then
ActiveSheet.Hyperlinks.Add _
Anchor:=objOutputArea.Offset(iRow, _
iColumn), _
Address:="", SubAddress:=Chr(39) & _
strSheetName & Chr(39) & "!A1"
End If
If ActiveSheet.Visible = True Then
.Offset(iRow, iColumn + 1) = " Visible"
.Offset(iRow, iColumn).Font.Bold = True
.Offset(iRow, iColumn + 1).Font.Bold = True
Else
.Offset(iRow, iColumn + 1) = " Hidden"
End If
iRow = iRow + 1
End If
End With
Next x

Sheets(strTableName).Activate

'format worksheet
Range("A:C").Select
With Selection
.HorizontalAlignment = xlLeft
.VerticalAlignment = xlBottom
.WrapText = False
.Orientation = 0
.IndentLevel = 0
.ShrinkToFit = False
.MergeCells = False
End With
With Selection.Font
.name = "Tahoma"
'.FontStyle = "Regular"
.Size = 10
.Strikethrough = False
.Superscript = False
.Subscript = False
.OutlineFont = False
.Shadow = False
.Underline = xlUnderlineStyleNone
'.ColorIndex = xlAutomatic
End With

Range("A2").Select
ActiveWindow.FreezePanes = True
Range("A1").Font.Bold = True
Columns("A:C").EntireColumn.AutoFit

Range("A1:C1").Select
With Selection
.HorizontalAlignment = xlCenter
.Font.Underline = xlUnderlineStyleSingle
End With

Range("B1").Select
With ActiveCell.Characters(Start:=1, Length:=7).Font
.FontStyle = "Bold"
End With
With ActiveCell.Characters(Start:=8, Length:=9).Font
.FontStyle = "Regular"
End With

Columns("A:C").EntireColumn.AutoFit
Range("A1:C1").Font.Underline = _
xlUnderlineStyleSingleAccounting

Range("B:B").HorizontalAlignment = xlCenter

Range("C1").HorizontalAlignment = xlLeft
Columns("C:C").ColumnWidth = 65

Range("A1").Select

Select Case strOrigCalcStatus
Case "Automatic"
Case "Manual"
Case "SemiAutomatic"
Application.Calculation = _
xlCalculationSemiautomatic
Case Else
End Select

Application.Dialogs(xlDialogWorkbookName).Show

End Sub
'================================================= ====

" wrote:

[...]

Gord Dibben

If you right-click on the sheet navigation arrows at bottom left of status bar
you will get a pop-up with 16 sheets on it and a "more sheets" button.

Otherwise you could create a Table of Contents sheet with selectable sheet
names.

See David McRitchie's site for a TOC macro.

Or use Bob Phillips BrowseSheets macro(posted below)which displays a form with
option button to select a sheet. I personally like this one.

Sub BrowseSheets()
Const nPerColumn As Long = 38 'number of items per column
Const nWidth As Long = 13 'width of each letter
Const nHeight As Long = 18 'height of each row
Const sID As String = "___SheetGoto" 'name of dialog sheet
Const kCaption As String = " Select sheet to goto"
'dialog caption

Dim i As Long
Dim TopPos As Long
Dim iBooks As Long
Dim cCols As Long
Dim cLetters As Long
Dim cMaxLetters As Long
Dim cLeft As Long
Dim thisDlg As DialogSheet
Dim CurrentSheet As Worksheet
Dim cb As OptionButton

Application.ScreenUpdating = False

If ActiveWorkbook.ProtectStructure Then
MsgBox "Workbook is protected.", vbCritical
Exit Sub
End If

On Error Resume Next
Application.DisplayAlerts = False
ActiveWorkbook.DialogSheets(sID).Delete
Application.DisplayAlerts = True
On Error GoTo 0
Set CurrentSheet = ActiveSheet
Set thisDlg = ActiveWorkbook.DialogSheets.Add

With thisDlg

.Name = sID
.Visible = xlSheetHidden

'sets variables for positioning on dialog
iBooks = 0
cCols = 0
cMaxLetters = 0
cLeft = 78
TopPos = 40

For i = 1 To ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets.Count

If i Mod nPerColumn = 1 Then
cCols = cCols + 1
TopPos = 40
cLeft = cLeft + (cMaxLetters * nWidth)
cMaxLetters = 0
End If

Set CurrentSheet = ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets(i)
cLetters = Len(CurrentSheet.Name)
If cLetters cMaxLetters Then
cMaxLetters = cLetters
End If

iBooks = iBooks + 1
.OptionButtons.Add cLeft, TopPos, cLetters * nWidth, 16.5
.OptionButtons(iBooks).text = _
ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets(iBooks).Name
TopPos = TopPos + 13

Next i

.Buttons.Left = cLeft + (cMaxLetters * nWidth) + 24

CurrentSheet.Activate

With .DialogFrame
.Height = Application.Max(68, _
Application.Min(iBooks, nPerColumn) * nHeight + 10)
.Width = cLeft + (cMaxLetters * nWidth) + 24
.Caption = kCaption
End With

.Buttons("Button 2").BringToFront
.Buttons("Button 3").BringToFront

Application.ScreenUpdating = True
If .Show Then
For Each cb In thisDlg.OptionButtons
If cb.Value = xlOn Then
ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets(cb.Caption).Select
Exit For
End If
Next cb
Else
MsgBox "Nothing selected"
End If

Application.DisplayAlerts = False
End With
End Sub

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 10:03:02 -0800, "The Good Deeds Team" <The Good Deeds
wrote:

[...]

Combat High

This is all excellent information fellas - I'm sure I'm not the only one
appreciating this level of input.

I'd hate to hijack this guy's thread but I fear I'll be lost in the clutter
otherwise, and, well, my question IS on-topic:

Any ways to 'stack' more than one row of tabs, whether it be through Excel
or an add-on to Excel?
Chip Pearson

There is no way to 'stack' the worksheet tabs on to more than a
single row.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson