Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
ellebelle

Default cell address

Hello, Could somebody please help me with the following

I have a row of numbers and the letter x. the numbers are always sequential
except when an x marks a non working day.

A B C D E F G H
I J K
ROW1 x 1 2 3 4 5 x x 6 7 8
ROW2

In Row 2 I would like to get the cell address of the previous cell that does
not have an x in Row1.

Eg. Cell I2 would return the address of cell F2
Cell D2 would return the address of cell C2

I am going to embed this cell address in another formula.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bob Phillips

=ADDRESS(1,MAX(IF($A$1:H$1<"x",COLUMN(A:H))))

which is an array formula, it should be committed with Ctrl-Shift-Enter, not
just Enter.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"ellebelle" wrote in message
Hello, Could somebody please help me with the following

I have a row of numbers and the letter x. the numbers are always

sequential
except when an x marks a non working day.

A B C D E F G H
I J K
ROW1 x 1 2 3 4 5 x x 6 7 8
ROW2

In Row 2 I would like to get the cell address of the previous cell that

does
not have an x in Row1.

Eg. Cell I2 would return the address of cell F2
Cell D2 would return the address of cell C2

I am going to embed this cell address in another formula.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
ellebelle

sorry my mistake, i actually want the value in the cell that your formula
returns not the address as previously requested.

"ellebelle" wrote in message
Hello, Could somebody please help me with the following

I have a row of numbers and the letter x. the numbers are always

sequential
except when an x marks a non working day.

A B C D E F G H
I J K
ROW1 x 1 2 3 4 5 x x 6 7 8
ROW2

In Row 2 I would like to get the cell address of the previous cell that

does
not have an x in Row1.

Eg. Cell I2 would return the address of cell F2
Cell D2 would return the address of cell C2

I am going to embed this cell address in another formula.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bob Phillips

=INDEX(1:1,,MAX(IF($A$1:H$1<"x",COLUMN(A:H))))

still an array formula

--
HTH

Bob Phillips