Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Hawkeye

Default I used Lotus Help for regressions in MS Excel 99. Now what?

I am unable to use, as it is no longer available, the straightforward Lotus
Help linear regressionsoftware previously available to me through the Help
button in MS Office 1999's version of MS Excel. When I follow the LINEST
instructions, I do not get what the "Perform a regression analysis"
instructions say I should. I get a number, not two numners in adjacent
cells, and I get no labels at all, contrary to what the instructions say I
should be getting. Being able to perform quick regression analyses, with
slope, intercept and r-squared values has be a key tomy success in my job.
Without this rapid capability, I am severely handicapped and my job is at
risk. HELP!!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jerry W. Lewis

LINEST returns calculated statistics, unlabled. Help nowhere implies that
they will be labeled, it mearly explains what numbers will be in what output
position. You can get labeled output by using he regression tool in the
Analysis ToolPak (see Help for installation instructions)

LINEST returns an array of numbers, but you will only see that array (as
opposed to the top left value from the array) if you select a large enough
range of cells to hold the output array and then array enter
(Ctrl-Shift-Enter) the formula. Alternately, if you only need slope,
intercept, and R-squared, then see Help for the SLOPE, INTERSEPT, and RSQ
worksheet functions.

Jerry