Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
swieduwi

Default Including Environ Username in Cell

I have searched the forum several way to resolve my issue and the only
solutions were as follows:

Formula:
--------------------

Public Function UserName()
UserName = Environ("username")
'UserName = Computer("UserName")
End Function
MsgBox Environ(”username”)

Option Explicit
Function NetworkUserName() As String
Dim response
NetworkUserName = Environ("Username")
End Function

--------------------

Problem is that I get a #REF! and #NAME! instead of the user names
I am using Excel 2000 (I can not upgrade, Government PC) pus we need it
to support Excel 2000 - present versions.

thanks

--
swieduwi
swieduwi's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=21962

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
swieduwi

Bump
Any Takers

--
swieduwi
swieduwi's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=21962
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=507221

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Roger Govier

Hi

I found this function on Google, which I have used successfully.
I'm sorry but I don't have the author's name to give proper
accreditation, but whoever it is, thanks - I have found it useful.

=Getname(2) entered in a cell will return the user name

Function GetName(Optional NameType As String) As String
'Formula should be entered as =GetName([param])
'
'For Name of Type Enter Text OR Enter #
'MS Office User Name "Office" 1 (or leave blank)
'Windows User Name "Windows" 2
'Computer Name "Computer" 3

'Force application to recalculate when necessary. If this
'function is only called from other VBA procedures, this
'section can be eliminated. (Req'd for cell use)
Application.Volatile

'Set value to Office if no parameter entered
If Len(NameType) = 0 Then NameType = "OFFICE"

'Identify parameter, assign result to GetName, and return
'error if invalid
Select Case UCase(NameType)
Case Is = "OFFICE", "1"
GetName = Application.UserName
Exit Function
Case Is = "WINDOWS", "2"
GetName = Environ("UserName")
Exit Function
Case Is = "COMPUTER", "3"
GetName = Environ("ComputerName")
Exit Function
Case Else
GetName = CVErr(xlErrValue)
End Select

End Function

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"swieduwi" wrote
in message ...

[...]

View this thread:

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
swieduwi

the =Getname(2) did not work as well, I get the #NAME?
What am I doing wrong??????

--
swieduwi
swieduwi's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=21962
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=507221

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Roger Govier

Hi
Where are you pasting the code?
It needs to be in a general module of the workbook you are using, not in
the Sheet code.
--
Regards

Roger Govier

wrote in message

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
swieduwi

Roger Govier Wrote:
Hi
Where are you pasting the code?
It needs to be in a general module of the workbook you are using, not
in
the Sheet code.
--
Regards

Roger Govier

[/color]
Thanks for the reply...

Yes I placed it in the General section of my Workbook code area and it
looks like this:

Formula:
--------------------

Public Function UserName()

Select Case UCase(NameType)
Case Is = "OFFICE", "1"
GetName = Application.UserName
Exit Function
Case Is = "WINDOWS", "2"
GetName = Environ("UserName")
Exit Function
Case Is = "COMPUTER", "3"
GetName = Environ("ComputerName")
Exit Function
Case Else
GetName = CVErr(xlErrValue)
End Select

End Function

--------------------

in the cell I reference "=username()" I get a #REF! in the Cell
if I reference "=GetName(2) i get a #NAME?

--
swieduwi
swieduwi's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=21962
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=507221

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Chip Pearson

The code needs to be in a regular code module, NOT the
ThisWorkbook module or a sheet module.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"swieduwi"
wrote in
message

Roger Govier Wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Chip Pearson

"Roger Govier" wrote in message

Function GetName(Optional NameType As String) As String

This function should have a return type of Variant, not String,
since one possible return value is CVErr(xlErrValue). Also, the
NameType should be declared ByVal -- it is bad form to change
argument values in the calling procedure unless it is required by
design.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Roger Govier

Hi Chip

Many thanks for pointing this out. My VBA skills are limited, but
growing through participation here.
As I said in my first response to the OP, I found the routine somewhere
through a search on the web, and don't know the author.
Thus far, it has worked OK for me, but I guess I've been lucky and not
hit the Err values you mention.
I will change the routine accordingly.

If I understand you correctly, this should be
Function GetName(Optional NameType ByVal) As Variant.
Is this correct?

--
Regards

Roger Govier

wrote in message

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
swieduwi

This works fine but I am trying to show the last person who saved the
file,
I need to track who changed the file last since is resides on a network
drive.

this shows who currently has the sheet open.