Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Chip Pearson

Default Including Environ Username in Cell

"Roger Govier" wrote in message

Function GetName(Optional NameType As String) As String

This function should have a return type of Variant, not String,
since one possible return value is CVErr(xlErrValue). Also, the
NameType should be declared ByVal -- it is bad form to change
argument values in the calling procedure unless it is required by
design.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"Roger Govier" wrote in message
Hi

I found this function on Google, which I have used
successfully.
I'm sorry but I don't have the author's name to give proper
accreditation, but whoever it is, thanks - I have found it
useful.

=Getname(2) entered in a cell will return the user name

Function GetName(Optional NameType As String) As String
'Formula should be entered as =GetName([param])
'
'For Name of Type Enter Text OR Enter #
'MS Office User Name "Office" 1 (or leave
blank)
'Windows User Name "Windows" 2
'Computer Name "Computer" 3

'Force application to recalculate when necessary. If this
'function is only called from other VBA procedures, this
'section can be eliminated. (Req'd for cell use)
Application.Volatile

'Set value to Office if no parameter entered
If Len(NameType) = 0 Then NameType = "OFFICE"

'Identify parameter, assign result to GetName, and return
'error if invalid
Select Case UCase(NameType)
Case Is = "OFFICE", "1"
GetName = Application.UserName
Exit Function
Case Is = "WINDOWS", "2"
GetName = Environ("UserName")
Exit Function
Case Is = "COMPUTER", "3"
GetName = Environ("ComputerName")
Exit Function
Case Else
GetName = CVErr(xlErrValue)
End Select

End Function

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"swieduwi"
wrote
in message

I have searched the forum several way to resolve my issue and
the only
solutions were as follows:

Formula:
--------------------

Public Function UserName()
UserName = Environ("username")
'UserName = Computer("UserName")
End Function
MsgBox Environ("username")

Option Explicit
Function NetworkUserName() As String
Dim response
NetworkUserName = Environ("Username")
End Function

Problem is that I get a #REF! and #NAME! instead of the user
names
I am using Excel 2000 (I can not upgrade, Government PC) pus
we need it
to support Excel 2000 - present versions.

thanks

--
swieduwi
swieduwi's Profile: