Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
JNW

Default Using '=MIN(DATE(YEAR(A1),MONTH(A1)+{7,6},DAY(A1)*{0,1}) )'

I found this formula in one of the posts (Credit to Barry Houdini) and I was
wondering how I might edit it.

Right now it calculates the date 6 months from today without passing into
the next month. I need to edit this formula in order to add 10, 11, and 13
months to the date given in another cell. I tried changing the 6 to 13 but
that didn't work.

Any ideas?

Thank you.
JNW

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dav

The easy option is to add a number of days onto the date. However this
will not be an exact number of months. The Function used can be
modified to add a number of months, I can do this for you but need to
know what you would do if x months in the future the date did not
exist, for example 31st february can not exist, would you be hapy for
this to be the 1st of the next month?

Dav

--
Dav
Dav's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=27107

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
bpeltzer

You need to change not just the 6, but the pair {7,6}. For n months ahead,
the array should be {n+1,n}, so {14,13} to advance 13 months.

"JNW" wrote:

I found this formula in one of the posts (Credit to Barry Houdini) and I was
wondering how I might edit it.

Right now it calculates the date 6 months from today without passing into
the next month. I need to edit this formula in order to add 10, 11, and 13
months to the date given in another cell. I tried changing the 6 to 13 but
that didn't work.

Any ideas?

Thank you.
JNW

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
JNW

Thank you Bob and bpeltzer. I searched some more and found the following and
was wondering if there are any fundamental differences? Just curiousity on
my part because what you have posted works great.

=DATE(YEAR($D$2),MONTH($D$2)+1+C9,0)

"JNW" wrote:

I found this formula in one of the posts (Credit to Barry Houdini) and I was
wondering how I might edit it.

Right now it calculates the date 6 months from today without passing into
the next month. I need to edit this formula in order to add 10, 11, and 13
months to the date given in another cell. I tried changing the 6 to 13 but
that didn't work.

Any ideas?

Thank you.
JNW

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bob Phillips

IT is hard to say which is better as we haven't been told what you are
trying to do, but I like Barry's solution as it is a neat way to forward you
six months, going back to the last day in the month if that resultant month
has fewer days than that month, so winding 31st March forward 6 months
returns 20th September.

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"JNW" wrote:

I found this formula in one of the posts (Credit to Barry Houdini)

and I was
wondering how I might edit it.

Right now it calculates the date 6 months from today without passing

into
the next month. I need to edit this formula in order to add 10, 11,

and 13
months to the date given in another cell. I tried changing the 6 to

13 but
that didn't work.

Any ideas?

Thank you.
JNW

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
bpeltzer

The alternative, =DATE(YEAR($D$2),MONTH($D$2)+1+C9,0), doesn't retain the day
of the start date. The final argument to the date function is the day; A
day of 0 will result in the last day of the prior month, which is why you'd
have to add 1+C9 months. So if you just need any date in the month that's
six months ahead, this would work fine. If you want the date six months
ahead, the other is more exact.
--Bruce

"JNW" wrote:

I found this formula in one of the posts (Credit to Barry Houdini) and I was
wondering how I might edit it.

Right now it calculates the date 6 months from today without passing into
the next month. I need to edit this formula in order to add 10, 11, and 13
months to the date given in another cell. I tried changing the 6 to 13 but
that didn't work.

Any ideas?

Thank you.
JNW

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
JNW

Thank you again for both of your help.

One more question. How would I use the same formula to subract 6 months
from today? I tried substituting the + for a - but that didn't work. Any
thoughts?

"JNW" wrote:

I found this formula in one of the posts (Credit to Barry Houdini)

and I was
wondering how I might edit it.

Right now it calculates the date 6 months from today without passing

into
the next month. I need to edit this formula in order to add 10, 11,

and 13
months to the date given in another cell. I tried changing the 6 to

13 but
that didn't work.

Any ideas?

Thank you.
JNW

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bob Phillips

You also need to adjust the deductions

=MIN(DATE(YEAR(A2),MONTH(A2)-{6,5},DAY(A2)*{1,0}))

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"JNW" wrote:

I found this formula in one of the posts (Credit to Barry Houdini)

and I was
wondering how I might edit it.

Right now it calculates the date 6 months from today without

passing
into
the next month. I need to edit this formula in order to add 10,

11,
and 13
months to the date given in another cell. I tried changing the 6

13 but
that didn't work.

Any ideas?

Thank you.
JNW

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
JNW

I did this for returning a date 10 months prior to the date in cell X2. I
entered the formula as follows:
=MIN(DATE(YEAR(X2),MONTH(X2)-{10,9},DAY(X2)*{0,1}))

The date in X2 is 2/2/06 and the formula returned 3/31/05 when it should
return 4/2/05. Any ideas why?

"JNW" wrote:

I found this formula in one of the posts (Credit to Barry Houdini)
and I was
wondering how I might edit it.

Right now it calculates the date 6 months from today without

passing
into
the next month. I need to edit this formula in order to add 10,

11,
and 13
months to the date given in another cell. I tried changing the 6

13 but
that didn't work.

Any ideas?

Thank you.
JNW

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bob Phillips

You reversed the 0,1 in my formula, it should be

=MIN(DATE(YEAR(X2),MONTH(X2)-{10,9},DAY(X2)*{1,0}))

--

HTH

Bob Phillips