Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default multiple vlookup

I have a different workbooks, the one workbook takes the output from
out employee time logging system and outputs in a format like this

All.xls
Name time in time out
ABC Robert L Jones 09:00 17:30
SDDF James Smith 09:05 17:20
etc...

The other workbooks are the managers ones that contain just the info
they need.

Manager1.xls
And then in the different manager's excel workbook we have it like
this:
Name time in time out
Bob Jones 09:00 17:30

Manager2.xls
Name time in time out
Jim Smith 09:00 17:30

I created a sheet "matches" that matches the output from the system to
the manager's name like this:
System output Manager workbook
ABC Robert L Jones Bob Jones
SDDF James Smith Jim Smith

I would like to link the manager's work book to the all.xls workbook so
that I can automatically pull out the time in and time out stats from
the all.xls system output. I could do this using vlookup if the names
in the manager's workbook were the same in the all.xls but now have to
somehow do two lookups first in the "match" sheet and then to pull up
from the all.xls worksheet.

How would I do a double vlookup.

A single lookup in the manager's workbook without referencing the name
matches would look something like this:
VLOOKUP($A2,'[All.xls]29'!$A$2:$C$84,2,FALSE) for the time in
VLOOKUP($A2,'[All.xls]29'!$A$2:$C$84,2,FALSE) for the time out
Where 29 is the name of the sheet (representing todays date)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
damorrison

Is there an employee number for each staff??

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
daddylonglegs

You should just be able to replace the $A2 in this formula

VLOOKUP($A2,'[All.xls]29'!$A$2:$C$84,2,FALSE)

with your first VLOOKUP, e.g. something like

VLOOKUP(VLOOKUP($A2,namematchtable,2,0),'[All.xls]29'!$A$2:$C$84,2,FALSE)

--
daddylonglegs
daddylonglegs's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30486

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Philippe L. Balmanno

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Chip Pearson has a web page working with time sheet (time in and time out)
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/overtime.htm
Could it be of help?