Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
anny

Default appending text to existing values

Hello

Column K of my worksheet ranks the values in column J in ascending order.
I've written in code to use 'generous' rules in the ranking. (ie 1, 2, 2,
3 not 1, 2, 2, 4). The ranks are currently in 'General' format.

What I'd like to do is append a "T" in cases of ties. (ie 1, 2T, 2T, 3)

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance
anny

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Domenic

Try...

K1, copied down:

=(YourFormula)&IF(COUNTIF($J$1:$J$10,J1)1,"T","")

or

=(SUM(IF(J1<$J$1:$J$10,1/COUNTIF($J$1:$J$10,$J$1:$J$10)))+1)&IF(COUNTIF($
J$1:$J$10,J1)1,"T","")

....confirmed with CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER, not just ENTER. Adjust the range
accordingly.

Hope this helps!

In article ,
"anny" wrote:

Hello

Column K of my worksheet ranks the values in column J in ascending order.
I've written in code to use 'generous' rules in the ranking. (ie 1, 2, 2,
3 not 1, 2, 2, 4). The ranks are currently in 'General' format.

What I'd like to do is append a "T" in cases of ties. (ie 1, 2T, 2T, 3)

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance
anny

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Coderre

You might be able to try something like this:

For values in Cells A1:A10
B1: (your rank formula)*IF(COUNTIF($A$1:$A$10,$A1)1,-1,1)
Copy that formula down thru B10

Then, select B1:B10
FormatCellsNumber tab
Category: Custom
Type: 0_T;0"T";0_T
Click the [OK] button

Note: Duplicate ranks are actually NEGATIVE, but they display without the
minus sign (-).

Sample output
Value Rank Display
10 1