Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
eufemistic

Default how do i add seconds (time)?

I need to add up seconds and also have those converted to minutes. I am
timing scenes of script. I have to note the seconds for each scene, and then
tally up the time on a rolling basis, from scene to scene and have them
converted to minutes (as the time rolls). This particular script is less than
one hour, but if it were an hour or more I would need to also have minutes
converted to hours as the time rolls. Any ideas? This is somewhat urgent. Any
assistance you can offer wouldbe greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
-E
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peo Sjoblom

assume you use integers for seconds thus entering them as 15 for 15 second
as opposed to 0:0:15 then just add them with SUM

=SUM(A1:A10)

where A1:A10 holds your seconds,

then use

=SUM(A1:A10)/86400

format as [hh]:mm:ss

Peo Sjoblom

Portland, Oregon

"eufemistic" wrote in message
I need to add up seconds and also have those converted to minutes. I am
timing scenes of script. I have to note the seconds for each scene, and
then
tally up the time on a rolling basis, from scene to scene and have them
converted to minutes (as the time rolls). This particular script is less
than
one hour, but if it were an hour or more I would need to also have minutes
converted to hours as the time rolls. Any ideas? This is somewhat urgent.
Any
assistance you can offer wouldbe greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
-E

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
eufemistic

Hi Peo. Thanks for the reply. I don't think I asked the question right :)
Here's an example. I have a 3-column sheet. Column 1 is my scene number.
Column 2 is the total time for that scene, as recorded from a stopwatch (so
it could either be seconds or minutes), and column 3 should be the total time
elapsed so far after each scene, so I want it to look like this:
A B C
1 :10 :10
2 :20 :30
3 1:01 1:31

I specified only seconds in my previous post, when I meant just elapsed
time. Sorry about that! ;) Can you help? Thanks again.

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peo Sjoblom

Do you in fact enter the times as :10 for ten seconds, if so that is text
and it doesn't make any sense to me why you can't enter the times as 0:0:10
for seconds or 0:01:01 for minutes and seconds, if you do that all you have
to do is to add them like

1 00:00:10 0:00:10
2 00:00:20 0:00:30
3 00:01:01 0:01:31

the scene number starts in A2 (assuming you have headers) then C2 would have

=SUM($B$2:B2)

and copied down it would return the third column, otherwise if as written
your would have

:10 (seen as text)
:20 (seen as text)
1:01 ( seen as one hour and one minute)

while it is possible to correct these in a formula using probably an extra
column to convert these values it would be unnecessary complicated

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peo Sjoblom

Btw, you can change the sum formula to

=IF(B2="","",SUM($B$2:B2))

then copy down as far you think the data will grow, then you don't have to
copy down the formula each time you enter a new time

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

[...]

:)