Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
tomcat017

Default Continuous Alphabetization

Hello All,

I am entering some database information into an excel
spreadsheet--namely, clients' names, addresses, phone #s, etc. I know
how to make excel alphabetize all the data according to the name
column. However, there are many duplicates that I come accross, and
so, I find myself having to alphabetize after every entry. Is there
any way to make excel alphabetize every time i move to the next row?
Thanks,

-Michael

--
tomcat017
tomcat017's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30911

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
L. Howard Kittle

Hi Michael,

Perhaps an event macro like this will do.

If Target.Column < 1 Then Exit Sub
Range("A:A").Sort Key1:=Range("A1"), Order1:=xlAscending
End Sub

HTH
Regards,
Howard

"tomcat017" wrote
in message ...

Hello All,

I am entering some database information into an excel
spreadsheet--namely, clients' names, addresses, phone #s, etc. I know
how to make excel alphabetize all the data according to the name
column. However, there are many duplicates that I come accross, and
so, I find myself having to alphabetize after every entry. Is there
any way to make excel alphabetize every time i move to the next row?
Thanks,

-Michael

--
tomcat017
tomcat017's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=505886

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Martin P

It is possible to have the alphabetical list updated after every entry.
In J1 enter 1, in K1 enter 2, and in L1 enter 3.
Let your data be contained in A2:C15: surnames in column A, addresses in
column B and telephone numbers in column C.
Cell E2: =SUMPRODUCT(--($A$2:$A$15<$A2))
Cell F2: =IF(ISBLANK(A2)=TRUE,ROW()*1000,E2+ROW()/1000)
Cell G2: =RANK($F2,$F$2:$F$15,5)
Cell H2: =ROW(G2)-ROW($G$2)+1
Cell I2: =MATCH($H2,$G$2:$G$15,0)
Cell J2: =INDEX($A$2:$C$7,$I2,J$1)
Copy J2 to K2 and L2
Copy E2:L2 to E2:L15.
Make refinements to suit your needs, for example you could have the
alphabetical list on a different worksheet, and you also probably want to get
rid of the error cells and the zeroes (use an IF function). Also, this is
only a sample list with a maximum of 14 entries. Extend the range to what
you require.