Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
T De Villiers

Default Shortening a vlookup

I use the following type of function a lot:
if(iserror(vlookup(a,sheet2!$a$1:$d$15,2,0)),0,vlo okup(a,sheet2!$a$1:$d$15,2,0))

I want to replace this with:
taz(a,sheet2!$a$1:$d$15,2)

the following is my current attempt which doesnt quite work,
many thanks for any help

Function taz(a, b, c)

taz = WorksheetFunction.VLookup(a, b, c, 0)

If WorksheetFunction.IsError(taz) Then
taz = 0
Else: taz
End If
End Function

--
T De Villiers
T De Villiers's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=26479

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bob Phillips

Function taz(a, b, c)

On Error Resume Next
taz = WorksheetFunction.VLookup(a, b, c, 0)
On Error GoTo 0
If IsError(taz) Then
taz = 0
End If
End Function

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"T De Villiers"
wrote in message
news:T.De.Villiers.228qdz_1138276809.0729@excelfor um-nospam.com...

I use the following type of function a lot:

if(iserror(vlookup(a,sheet2!$a$1:$d$15,2,0)),0,vlo okup(a,sheet2!$a$1:$d$15,2
,0))

I want to replace this with:
taz(a,sheet2!$a$1:$d$15,2)

the following is my current attempt which doesnt quite work,
many thanks for any help

Function taz(a, b, c)

taz = WorksheetFunction.VLookup(a, b, c, 0)

If WorksheetFunction.IsError(taz) Then
taz = 0
Else: taz
End If
End Function

--
T De Villiers
T De Villiers's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=505271

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
T De Villiers

Thanks for this, another question though, just say I want the output to
be 5
when there is an error, why doesnt the following work, many thanks:

Function taz(a, b, c)

On Error Resume Next
taz = WorksheetFunction.VLookup(a, b, c, 0)
On Error GoTo 0
If IsError(taz) Then
taz = 5
End If
End Function

--
T De Villiers
T De Villiers's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=26479
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=505271

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bob Phillips

Try this version

Function taz(a, b, c)

On Error Resume Next
taz = WorksheetFunction.VLookup(a, b, c, 0)
On Error GoTo 0
If IsEmpty(taz) Then
taz = 5
End If
End Function

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"T De Villiers"
wrote in message
news:T.De.Villiers.228spa_1138279803.9027@excelfor um-nospam.com...

Thanks for this, another question though, just say I want the output to
be 5
when there is an error, why doesnt the following work, many thanks:

Function taz(a, b, c)

On Error Resume Next
taz = WorksheetFunction.VLookup(a, b, c, 0)
On Error GoTo 0
If IsError(taz) Then
taz = 5
End If
End Function

--
T De Villiers
T De Villiers's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=505271

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
T De Villiers

Thanks for this Bob - you're extremely helpful

--
T De Villiers
T De Villiers's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=26479
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=505271

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CarlosAntenna

I also use this same kind of construct often. (vlookup with error trap) I
cut and pasted the code into the "this workbook" object and used the taz
function in a worksheet but I get a #NAME error. What am I doing wrong? I
also tried putting it in the sheet objects -- same error.

My formula in B2 is: =taz(A2,Sheet1!A:B,2)

This would be very useful to me but I never thought of defining my own
function.
--
Carlos

"Bob Phillips" wrote in message
Try this version

Function taz(a, b, c)

On Error Resume Next

wrote in message
news:T.De.Villiers.228spa_1138279803.9027@excelfor um-nospam.com...

Thanks for this, another question though, just say I want the output to
be 5
when there is an error, why doesnt the following work, many thanks:

Function taz(a, b, c)

On Error Resume Next
taz = WorksheetFunction.VLookup(a, b, c, 0)
On Error GoTo 0
If IsError(taz) Then
taz = 5
End If
End Function

--
T De Villiers
T De Villiers's Profile:

View this thread:

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CarlosAntenna

Thanks Kevin, that did it.

I also tried putting that module in my book.xlt so the function would be
available in new workbooks, but it doesn't appear in the new workbooks
created from book.xlt. Any ideas about that?

--
Carlos

wrote in message
news:T.De.Villiers.228spa_1138279803.9027@excelfor um-nospam.com...

Thanks for this, another question though, just say I want the output

be 5
when there is an error, why doesnt the following work, many thanks:

Function taz(a, b, c)

On Error Resume Next
taz = WorksheetFunction.VLookup(a, b, c, 0)
On Error GoTo 0
If IsError(taz) Then
taz = 5
End If
End Function

--
T De Villiers

T De Villiers's Profile:
View this thread:

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CarlosAntenna

Never mind.

I had more than one book.xlt and I put it in the wrong one.

--
Carlos