Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
charlie

Default mulitple formulas

I need help with a multiple formula in the same cell. I will write it like it
should go.

if C3=d then = District
if C3=c then = County Courts at Law

I am trying to put these in the same cell.

Please email with answer,

thanks very much,
cp

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
BekkiM

=IF(C3="d","District,IF(C3="c","County Courts at Law",""))

You can do it with one IF statement, but ONLY if your only two choices are
"c" and "d"--if there's anything else in column C (even blanks), you'll get
incorrect labels in your name column. For example:

=IF(C3="d","District","County Courts at Law") gives you:

IF C3 = "d", D3 = "District"
IF C3 = "c", D3 = "County Courts at Law"
IF C3 = "M", D3 = "County Courts at Law"

"charlie" wrote:

I need help with a multiple formula in the same cell. I will write it like it
should go.

if C3=d then = District
if C3=c then = County Courts at Law

I am trying to put these in the same cell.

Please email with answer,

thanks very much,
cp

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
charlie

I retyped this about 10 times and cannot seem to get it to work. Also, my
choice are going to be "d" or "c". Thanks for the headsup.

"charlie" wrote:

I need help with a multiple formula in the same cell. I will write it like it
should go.

if C3=d then = District
if C3=c then = County Courts at Law

I am trying to put these in the same cell.

Please email with answer,

thanks very much,
cp

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
BekkiM

Don't retype it--just copy and paste the entire formula (including the "=")
in D3 (then copy it down for other rows).

If you're trying to type/paste it into C3, it won't work--you'll get a
circular reference (and, if you're doing that, I suspect you're looking for
data validation, not a formula)

"charlie" wrote:

I need help with a multiple formula in the same cell. I will write it like it
should go.

if C3=d then = District
if C3=c then = County Courts at Law

I am trying to put these in the same cell.

Please email with answer,

thanks very much,
cp

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
charlie

Sorry to be a pest. I am putting this IF statment in cell C105. I want it to
go off whatever is in C3, either "C" or "d". I want the result to be in C105.

thanks again.

"charlie" wrote:

I need help with a multiple formula in the same cell. I will write it like it
should go.

if C3=d then = District
if C3=c then = County Courts at Law

I am trying to put these in the same cell.

Please email with answer,

thanks very much,
cp

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
BekkiM

Ahhh! Then in C105, copy and paste this formula (including the "="):

=IF(C3="d","District","County Courts at Law")

Remember, though, that when C3 is blank, C105 will still read "County Courts
at Law"). If that still doesn't work, you'll have to provide some more
detail about what exactly isn't working.

"charlie" wrote:

I need help with a multiple formula in the same cell. I will write it like it
should go.

if C3=d then = District
if C3=c then = County Courts at Law

I am trying to put these in the same cell.

Please email with answer,

thanks very much,
cp

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ken Wright

If you have a number of these to do then you should consider using VLOOKUP
which was designed for these kind of things.

--
Regards
Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03