Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Giselle

Default Matching names to numbers in a table

greetings

i have a table that looks like:

A B
AdNum AdName
12655 Wind*x cleaner
12899 Munchies cereal
etc

Each AdNum is unique

In another sheet is a large table showing times the ads run:

A B C
Time AdNum AdName etc...
4:35 12655
6:28 12655
12:03 12899
1.14 12655
etc etc

I'd like column C to be filled in automatically, based on the 1st table.
This is easy in Access, but I'm very new to Excel.

Help appreciated, Giselle

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max

One way is to use VLOOKUP ..

Assuming the first table's in Sheet1, cols A and B

In the other sheet (the large table),
put in C2: =IF(B2="","",VLOOKUP(B2,Sheet1!A:B,2,0))
and copy C2 down

This will return the AdNames associated with the AdNums in col B
from the reference table in Sheet1
--
Max
Singapore
"Giselle" wrote in message
greetings

i have a table that looks like:

A B
AdNum AdName
12655 Wind*x cleaner
12899 Munchies cereal
etc

Each AdNum is unique

In another sheet is a large table showing times the ads run:

A B C
Time AdNum AdName etc...
4:35 12655
6:28 12655
12:03 12899
1.14 12655
etc etc

I'd like column C to be filled in automatically, based on the 1st table.
This is easy in Access, but I'm very new to Excel.

Help appreciated, Giselle

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Biff

Hi!

This is easy in Access

This is extremely difficult in Excel! <vbg

Assume this table:

A B
AdNum AdName
12655 Wind*x cleaner
12899 Munchies cereal

Is on Sheet1 with the actual data starting on row 2 extending down to row
100.

On your other sheet in cell C2 (?) enter this formula:

=VLOOKUP(B2,Sheet1!A$2:B$100,2,0)

Copy down as needed.

Biff