greetings

i have a table that looks like:

A B
AdNum AdName
12655 Wind*x cleaner
12899 Munchies cereal
etc

Each AdNum is unique

In another sheet is a large table showing times the ads run:

A B C
Time AdNum AdName etc...
4:35 12655
6:28 12655
12:03 12899
1.14 12655
etc etc

I'd like column C to be filled in automatically, based on the 1st table.
This is easy in Access, but I'm very new to Excel.

Help appreciated, Giselle

Max

Matching names to numbers in a table

One way is to use VLOOKUP ..

Assuming the first table's in Sheet1, cols A and B

In the other sheet (the large table),
put in C2: =IF(B2="","",VLOOKUP(B2,Sheet1!A:B,2,0))
and copy C2 down

This will return the AdNames associated with the AdNums in col B
from the reference table in Sheet1
--
Max
Singapore
"Giselle" wrote in message
greetings

i have a table that looks like:

A B
AdNum AdName
12655 Wind*x cleaner
12899 Munchies cereal
etc

Each AdNum is unique

In another sheet is a large table showing times the ads run:

A B C
Time AdNum AdName etc...
4:35 12655
6:28 12655
12:03 12899
1.14 12655
etc etc

I'd like column C to be filled in automatically, based on the 1st table.
This is easy in Access, but I'm very new to Excel.

Help appreciated, Giselle

Biff

Matching names to numbers in a table

Hi!

This is easy in Access

This is extremely difficult in Excel! <vbg

Assume this table:

A B
AdNum AdName
12655 Wind*x cleaner
12899 Munchies cereal

Is on Sheet1 with the actual data starting on row 2 extending down to row
100.

On your other sheet in cell C2 (?) enter this formula:

=VLOOKUP(B2,Sheet1!A$2:B$100,2,0)

Copy down as needed.

Biff