JulieD

Hi Tammy

if you only need to change the way they look (ie you're not exporting them
or using them in a function or anything) then this can be achieved by a
custom format
select the cells, choose format / cells, under the number tab choose custom
you should see the word General in the white line on the right change it to
read
"**"@

Cheers
JulieD

"Tammy Singer" <Tammy wrote in message
Is there a way to insert a standard character before each cell of a
predetermined column?

For example, the info in the field says C01. I need for it to say **C01.
It would take me hours to manually put a ** in one thousand records in the
column.

Any help would be great!
Thans.

CarlosAntenna

If your data is in column A add a column B and enter this formula in cell B1
="**"&A1 . Then fill this formula down the column. Copy column B paste
special values into column A then delete column B.

Carlos

"Tammy Singer" <Tammy wrote in message
Is there a way to insert a standard character before each cell of a
predetermined column?

For example, the info in the field says C01. I need for it to say **C01.
It would take me hours to manually put a ** in one thousand records in the
column.

Any help would be great!
Thans.

Tammy Singer

Thanks Julie,

I don't see where under general you can change the white line to put in **
as a prefix. I see special and custom but they are pre determined characters
and formulas. Is there a way to set up a prefix in custom?

Any additional help would be great.

Thanks.