Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
tysop

Default pivot table and groups

I'm not sure if this is the best board to post this to, but I'll give it a try.
I have a pivot table containing data for the past 9 months or so, which I
have grouped by month and year.
However I have 2 problems:
firstly I want to see a running total with Januarys figure added to
Decembers running total figure, not restarting in January.
Secondly I want to compare January to December to get a
% difference from value, but I only get a #N/A error unless I just group by
month. Which will be OK until data runs over a year.

If anyone has any suggestions tehy would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Debra Dalgleish

To see a running total, you could add a field to the source data, in
which you calculate the year and month, e.g.: =TEXT("yy-mm")
Add that field to the pivot table, instead of year and month.

Use the new field as the base for the running total.

To see the difference between Jan and Dec, you could create a copy of
the pivot table, with year in the column area and month in the row area.
Set the data to show % Difference from, with Date as the base field, and
Jan as the Base item.
Hide all months except Jan and Dec.

--
Debra Dalgleish