Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Stilla

Default Merging Excel Files - Option "grayed out"

I'm experimenting with merging files in preparation for a potentially big
merging project.
I set up 4 test files. One is the "merge into" file. I've entered data into
4 rows and 3 columns in each of the other three files. The columns are
identically named in all 4 files. All four files are in one folder.

I can't find the "merge" command!! Under tools, there is an option to
"Compare & Merge Workbooks" but it's greyed out and cannot be selected!

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks so much.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CarlosAntenna

From Excel Help:

Requirements for merging Both workbooks must meet the following
requirements:

a.. Be copies of the same workbook, which must have been a shared
workbook.
b.. Have different file names.
c.. Either not have passwords, or both have the same password.
d.. Have change tracking in effect continuously from when the copies were
made.
e.. Keep change history back at least as far as the date when the copies
were made.
For example, if the change history is being kept in the workbooks for 30
days, and the copies were made 45 days ago, you can no longer merge the
workbooks.

Plan ahead for later merging When you turn on change tracking but aren't
sure when you'll merge the workbooks, set a large number of days for the
history, up to the maximum of 32,767 days.

Merge changes manually If the workbooks still won't merge, you can
incorporate the information from one workbook into another manually, by
copying and pasting from one workbook to another.

"Stilla" wrote in message
I'm experimenting with merging files in preparation for a potentially big
merging project.
I set up 4 test files. One is the "merge into" file. I've entered data

into
4 rows and 3 columns in each of the other three files. The columns are
identically named in all 4 files. All four files are in one folder.

I can't find the "merge" command!! Under tools, there is an option to
"Compare & Merge Workbooks" but it's greyed out and cannot be selected!

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks so much.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Stilla

Carlos - Thank You!
I tried it and it worked. I also discovered that this is no what I want to
do after all. The merge function "replaces" data in the same rows. I need
to "join".

If one file has 2 rows filled in, the other file has 5 rows filled in. My
masterfile should have 7 rows filled in. I know it's easy to do this
manually, but there will be 30 of these individual files to open.

1) is there a way to automate this?
2) after the first "joining" of data - is there a way of subsequently only
"bringing in" newly added data from the source files

Thank You - I really appreciate the help.

From Excel Help:

"Stilla" wrote in message
I'm experimenting with merging files in preparation for a potentially big
merging project.
I set up 4 test files. One is the "merge into" file. I've entered data

into
4 rows and 3 columns in each of the other three files. The columns are
identically named in all 4 files. All four files are in one folder.

I can't find the "merge" command!! Under tools, there is an option to
"Compare & Merge Workbooks" but it's greyed out and cannot be selected!

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks so much.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CarlosAntenna

This topic comes up often. I'm certain one of the MVPs in this forum has a
web page that covers what you want to do.
Can anyone provide a link?

--
Carlos

"Stilla" wrote in message
Carlos - Thank You!
I tried it and it worked. I also discovered that this is no what I want

do after all. The merge function "replaces" data in the same rows. I

need
to "join".

If one file has 2 rows filled in, the other file has 5 rows filled in. My
masterfile should have 7 rows filled in. I know it's easy to do this
manually, but there will be 30 of these individual files to open.

1) is there a way to automate this?
2) after the first "joining" of data - is there a way of subsequently only
"bringing in" newly added data from the source files

Thank You - I really appreciate the help.

From Excel Help: