Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Incoherent

Default "Insert Function" pop-up in Excel 2003, has anyone figured out ...

....how to disable this yet?
Also when I try to reference a single pivot table cell it is defaulting to
something like
=GETPIVOTDATA("Gradient",$A$3,"Focus",100,"col",2, "row",2,"xpos",7680,"ypos",7800)
instead of a the simple relative reference =A3. This is ludicrous and is
driving me nuts. Can I change it?

Most of the other features are fine, some even really good. But when they
muck around with the fundamental interface (removing the "=" and replacing it
with a clumsy "for idiots" popup) I get pretty ****ed off and want to go back
to 2000.
It slows me down.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Niek Otten

Instead of clicking the Insert function button, just type "=" and the rest
of your formula, like you did in Excel2K

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten

"Incoherent" wrote in message
...how to disable this yet?
Also when I try to reference a single pivot table cell it is defaulting to
something like
=GETPIVOTDATA("Gradient",$A$3,"Focus",100,"col",2, "row",2,"xpos",7680,"ypos",7800)
instead of a the simple relative reference =A3. This is ludicrous and is
driving me nuts. Can I change it?

Most of the other features are fine, some even really good. But when they
muck around with the fundamental interface (removing the "=" and replacing
it
with a clumsy "for idiots" popup) I get pretty ****ed off and want to go
back
to 2000.
It slows me down.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Incoherent

I know that.
It is not what I want.
I want to be able to e.g. click "=", click the cell I want to reference,
enter, double click the lower right corner to drag down the whole 4096 row
column, done.
The only keyboard entry being <Enter, 2cm from my right index finger.

I am not looking for other ways to do things, I am looking for the way to do
things the fastest way I can. When I do this hundreds of times a day those
extra two keyboard clicks I need to manually enter "=" slow me down and
disrupt the flow.
Of course I can get used to it but I don't think that's the point. Something
in the software has changed, it slows me down and I don't like it. :(

:)

The pivot table thing is even worse. It requires that I manually enter "=",
find the cell I want and enter it's coordinates. Or drag so it references a
range eg A3:A4 (not subject to the GETPIVOTDATA curse) and manually remove
the ":A4" from "=A3:A4" that is now there. This has me thumping the keyboard
in utter frustration everytime it occurs, very often with what I am doing.

So. Can I change this behaviour? Or must I change mine?

"Niek Otten" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Niek Otten

A tiny bit of one-off preparation:

Right-click the menu bar. Choose Customize.
Choose the Command tab. In the left box, select "Insert", in the right box,
choose the "=" sign and drag it to your menu bar.

Now you have a "=" button which does what the old one used to do.

--
[...]

"=",

"Niek Otten" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Incoherent

LOL.

Great idea.
Thank you very much for that. What a simple solution.
That works perfectly for me :)

Thanks Heaps

Incoherent

"Niek Otten" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Gord Dibben

Niek

Should read "does NOT do what the old one used to do unless you click in the
namebox to pick a Function after hitting the "=" icon"

Gord

"Niek Otten" wrote:

[...]

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Niek Otten

"old": Excel 2K

I used two have 2 colleagues, both named Jansen. They were called : The old
"The very old Jansen"

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten