Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ali

Default Checking names on correct line across sheets

Hi, I have approx 12 sheets. On each Column A is a list of 87 names. Some
changes have been made to later lists but I need to correct all lists to eb
the same. How do I ensure that the SAME name appears on the SAME line across
all sheets as the final sheet reads totals from a formula. Checking each
list manually is taking too long. Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Biff

Hi!

The quickest way would be to sort the sheets!

If you can't do that:

Temporarily rename your sheets to 1, 2, 3, 4 etc.

Assume the names are in the range A1:A87

Enter this formula in B1 and copy across to 12 cells then down 87 rows:

=MATCH($A1,INDIRECT(COLUMNS($A:A)&"!A1:A87"),0)

This will show you where each name is in each sheet. If all the numbers are
the same in all 12 columns across that means that name is in the same place
on each sheet.

Biff

"Ali" wrote in message
Hi, I have approx 12 sheets. On each Column A is a list of 87 names.
Some
changes have been made to later lists but I need to correct all lists to
eb
the same. How do I ensure that the SAME name appears on the SAME line
across
all sheets as the final sheet reads totals from a formula. Checking each
list manually is taking too long. Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Biff

Even better:

Select and group the 12 sheets in question.

Double click in each of the name cells then hit enter.

This may sound like a lot to go through but it should only take a min! How
fast can you double click and hit enter?

Make sure you ungroup the sheets when done.

Biff

"Ali" wrote in message
Hi, I have approx 12 sheets. On each Column A is a list of 87 names.
Some
changes have been made to later lists but I need to correct all lists to
eb
the same. How do I ensure that the SAME name appears on the SAME line
across
all sheets as the final sheet reads totals from a formula. Checking each
list manually is taking too long. Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Biff

Just a little clarification:

Double click in each of the name cells then hit enter.

You only need to do this on any one of the sheets not all sheets. That's why
they've been grouped! What you do to one sheet will be done to all.

In essence, what you're doing is re-entering the name in the cell and it
will be re-entered to the same cell in each sheet.

Biff

"Ali" wrote in message
Hi, I have approx 12 sheets. On each Column A is a list of 87 names.
Some
changes have been made to later lists but I need to correct all lists to
eb
the same. How do I ensure that the SAME name appears on the SAME line
across
all sheets as the final sheet reads totals from a formula. Checking each
list manually is taking too long. Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ali

Hi Biff
Thanks worked fantastically. U seem clued. Would u object to me sending you
a graph to look at as I have had it posted with no luck as yet.
Thanks again

"Ali" wrote:

Hi, I have approx 12 sheets. On each Column A is a list of 87 names. Some
changes have been made to later lists but I need to correct all lists to eb
the same. How do I ensure that the SAME name appears on the SAME line across
all sheets as the final sheet reads totals from a formula. Checking each
list manually is taking too long. Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ali

Thanks, preferred first method as there are more columns linked to column A
in each sheet. If I re-enter only the name the corresponding data in other
columns will not move. First method worked great as there were just specific
cells on each worksheet that needed correcting.