Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
axw

Default How to lookup the value next to a lookup result

I have a series of numbers that I want to shift. I can lookup the first
number in the series. Then to get the next number I want a formula which
looks at the first number and gives me the one next to it.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
RagDyeR

Just guessing at your configuration,

Number to lookup in Column A,
The "Next" number is in Column B,
Enter lookup criteria in C1,

And try this:

=VLOOKUP(C1,A1:B100,2,0)
--

HTH,

RD

"axw" wrote in message
I have a series of numbers that I want to shift. I can lookup the first
number in the series. Then to get the next number I want a formula which
looks at the first number and gives me the one next to it.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
axw

Thanks. But that formula looks up my no. in a row (eg A1) and instead of
giving me B1 (which is what i want) gives me A2

"axw" wrote in message
I have a series of numbers that I want to shift. I can lookup the first
number in the series. Then to get the next number I want a formula which
looks at the first number and gives me the one next to it.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
RagDyeR

No it doesn't !

The formula looks for the first number in Column A that matches the number
you entered into cell C1.
When it finds that number, it returns the number in Column B that is in the
same row as the "found" number.

If A1 contained 100
And you entered 100 into C1
The formula would return the number in B1.

Isn't that what you asked?

RD