akrr-rasmussen

Default Why do my links break when I burn multiple Excel files to a CD?

We have a master Excel file containing ~330 links to other Excel or Word
files. The Excel files it links to all contain at least 2 additional links
to other Word files. We need to supply this data to other users via CD. To
do so, we burn a CD using the top level folder as our starting point. All the
linked files are contained in the other sub-folders. Unfortunately, when the
CD is created multiple links are broken. These breaks are not consistent,
but seem to happen randomly from burn to burn.
akrr-rasmussen

We figured out our own issue. An example of our current file structure is as
follows:
Folder B\Folder C\Folder C1\example 1.xls
Folder B\Folder C\Folder C1\example 1.xls
T:\Folder A\Folder B\Folder D\etc.
Folder B\Folder D1\example 2.xls
Folder B\Folder E\etc.
This structure shows file 'example 1.xls', which contains links to 'example
2.xls'. When we burned the CD, we only burned from the level of folder B.
Unfortunately, the link embedded in example 1 had the following structu
T:\Folder A\Folder B\Folder D1\example 2.xls. Since we didn't burn one level
up at Folder A, everytime we created another CD the link broke when it looked
for Folder A and couldn't find it.

An early solution we looked at was copying all of Folder A to a PC hard
drive (which we'd then use to burn the CE), but the drive had too much data
to fit. To solve for this, we created C:\Folder A on the hard drive, then
copied Folder B into it. This was sufficient to maintain the file structure
and fix all the broken linkages.