Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
BigBuck98

Default Format cell to show colon

Is there any way that I can format a cell to insert a colon three spaces to
the left from the end of any group of numbers that I type in the a cell?
Examples 9:15 10:15

Thanks in advance,
Gordon

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Sloth

As confusing as it would be to do that, you can use a custom number format of

#\:##

915 will appear as 9:15, and 1015 will appear as 10:15. Is that what you
wanted? Why would you do that though? Excel is very handy when dealing with
time.

"BigBuck98" wrote:

Is there any way that I can format a cell to insert a colon three spaces to
the left from the end of any group of numbers that I type in the a cell?
Examples 9:15 10:15

Thanks in advance,
Gordon

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
BigBuck98

Sloth,
I have tried to format the cell with the time formats, but I can't seem to
get anything to work. I just want to type in 915 and have it show 9:15 or
1015 and have it show 10:15. I there a better way to do this?

Gordon

"BigBuck98" wrote:

Is there any way that I can format a cell to insert a colon three spaces
the left from the end of any group of numbers that I type in the a cell?
Examples 9:15 10:15

Thanks in advance,
Gordon

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Sloth

I didn't say use a time format. Use a CUSTOM format and input this as your
custom format

#\:##

Then when you enter a number in the cell in will show with a ':' inserted as
you described.

"BigBuck98" wrote:

Is there any way that I can format a cell to insert a colon three spaces
the left from the end of any group of numbers that I type in the a cell?
Examples 9:15 10:15

Thanks in advance,
Gordon

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Gord Dibben

Gordon

You can have 915 show as 9:15 using a custom format, but it will not be a valid
time.

Only through VBA can you quick-enter dates/times as you want.

See Chip Pearson's site for this.

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/DateTimeEntry.htm

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

"BigBuck98" wrote:

Is there any way that I can format a cell to insert a colon three spaces
the left from the end of any group of numbers that I type in the a cell?
Examples 9:15 10:15

Thanks in advance,
Gordon

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
BigBuck98

Sloth,
I guess you misread my second post. I got the CUSTOM format to work the way
you described. When I mentioned that I couldn't get the time format to work
that was in reply to your question, "Why would you do that though? Excel is
very handy when dealing with time." Before you told me how to do it, I tried
various time format methods and couldn't get anything to work. I have a
database for keeping my blood pressure. I take the pressure three times a
day, (morning, afternoon and evening). I enter the reading and also the time
taken.
Thanks for your help.
Gordon