Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
ebraun01

Default Matching Data in Columns

I am trying to compare data in one column with another. Let me explain.

One column are manufacturer coupons put out in each sunday's paper. The
second column is a list of coupons from a specifc store. I would like to
create a forumla or something that will reflect when there is a match in
each column. It can not be an exact match since the verbiage is not
exactly the same. I will provide a short example.

4 Way Nasal Spray $1 (4-8-06)..............All Sunbeam heating pads:
20% off
8th Continent Soymilk .50 (3-5-06).........Aveeno Lip protectant: $2.99
(SS)
Betty Crocker Potatoes .35 (3-5-06).......Chex Mix 4.5oz .99
Boston Lens Ca $7.99.......................Clorox (60 oz): .99
Chex Mix 4.5 oz. + .50/2 (3-5-06)...........Comtrex: $5.99

Now in this example, we have a match with the Chex mix. One is a
Manufacturer coupon for .50 off when you buy two, in the other column
is another Chex Mix coupon for .99 cents. These are close together but
in reality both columns can have hundreds of entries and even when
sorted alphabetically, not be anywhere near each other. I need
something that will will identify all the matches in both columns when
the columns don't exactly match, possibly by the first couple words or
something.

Any suggestions? Or is this possible?

--
ebraun01
ebraun01's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30340

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
ebraun01

Anybody got any suggestions?

--
ebraun01
ebraun01's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30340
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=500035

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Biff

Hi!

Maybe not exactly what you had in mind but at least it's something!

You would need to use specific keywords or phrases from the 2 nd column
entries and then you could search for matching keywords in the 1 st column
and use conditional formatting to highlight the matches. The big drawback
that I see is that this would have to done one at a time. The basic concept
is the same as that used in a database except that you're not wanting to
extract the data, just highlight any matches. I use this concept in my music
database (Excel) except that I do extract the data. For example, I enter a
keyword or phrase in a cell then the database is searched and every entry in
the database that contains that keyword or phrase is extracted.

Can you post a sample file?

Biff

"ebraun01" wrote in
message ...

Anybody got any suggestions?

--
ebraun01
ebraun01's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=500035

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Biff

Bookmark

"ebraun01" wrote in
message ...

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
ebraun01

Sure, since coupons are good for more than a week, next week I would add
that weeks coupons. Attached is an example that has The last two weeks
of manufacturers coupons and CVS's coupons beginning next week.

|Filename: CVS Coupons.zip |
|Download: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=4216 |

ebraun01
ebraun01's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30340
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=500035

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Biff

Hi!

There aren't a lot of options in doing this!

Here's your file:

http://s43.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0...82QE4CNTQ7O76K

Read the notes.

Biff

"ebraun01" wrote in
message ...

Sure, since coupons are good for more than a week, next week I would add
that weeks coupons. Attached is an example that has The last two weeks
of manufacturers coupons and CVS's coupons beginning next week.

|Filename: CVS Coupons.zip |
|Download: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=4216 |

ebraun01
ebraun01's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=500035

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
ebraun01

I think this will work fine. I appreciate all that you put into it. One
Question, How do I get the conditional formatting to work on column A
also? I adjusted the forumula so it finds matches in that row..but the
conditional formatting does not work.

--
ebraun01
ebraun01's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30340
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=500035

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Biff

Select the range A3:A250

Goto FormatConditional Formatting
Select Formula is
Enter this formula in the little box:

=ISNUMBER(SEARCH(LOOKUP(REPT("z",255),D:D),A3))

Click the Format button
Select the style(s) desired
OK out

Biff