Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
nhoh0it

Default Matching and aranging data form two sources

I was looking for a way to compare two groups of data on the same worksheet
then arrange the two groups of data based on the contents on one column in
each group. These two groups will have at least one row in common that I want
to line up side by side along with their counter part cells.
If a cell in one group matches a cell in the other group i want to line up
all of the other cells in that row of group A with those in group B. If there
is no match then shift all of the cells of the group B data down one row, and
push all of the other rows below the unmatched row down one also. Both of
these groups will have already been sorted on the common data column.
My Goal is to line up all of the data side by side from both groups so i can
see what other cells in that row have different data in them. These groups of
data will have 2 to 3 thousand rows.

Any ideas will be appreciated....Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
William Horton

This task sounds like it would be done much more easily in Microsoft Access
than in Excel. However, if you must do it in Excel it probably could be done
with the VLOOKUP function and a whole bunch of copying and pasting. (Are
their duplicates of the common field? IE if ID# is the common field, can
there only be one ID# AA2 in group a and only one ID# AA2 in group b?)

Hope this helps.

Bill Horton