Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Karenatallied

Default is there a problem with hyperlink in excel 2003

i am getting an error when trying to hyperlink from one page in a workbook to
another page in the same workbook. the error simply states that "cannot open
the specified file"
is there a way to fix this???
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Pete

At a guess I would say that you have omitted the # from the sheetname
if it is in the same workbook, and so the formula is trying to open a
file with the name of the worksheet you are trying to jump to.

Can you post your formula here and we'll be able to comment more
accurately?

Pete

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dave Peterson

Share what you used for the hyperlink and how you created it (Insert|Hyperlink
or =hyperlink()).

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Karenatallied

Hi Guys,

the scenario is as follows:

i am trying to link from a "Table of Contents" sheet to cell "A1" in a sheet
named "YTD Income Summary - ANY" and naming the link cell "New York Only".
Both the "Table of Contents" sheet and the "YTD Income Summary - ANY" sheet
are in the same workbook named "New York".

I used the HYPERLINK function shown below:
=HYPERLINK('YTD Income-Summary - ANY'!A1,"New York Only")

and also tried manually editing the formula as follows:
=HYPERLINK("[new york]'YTD Income-Summary - Cons'!A1","Consolidated")

where the sheet being linked to is "YTD Income-Summary - Cons", the link
cell is named "Consolidated" on the "Table of Contents" sheet and the
workbook containing both sheets is named "New York"

I get the same error message in both situations.

any insight would be appreciated...

Thanks :)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dave Peterson

David McRitchie posted this and it might help you:

=HYPERLINK("#"&CELL("address",C5),C5)
=HYPERLINK("#"&CELL("address",sheetone!C5),sheeton e!C5)
=HYPERLINK("#"&CELL("address",'sheet two'!C5),'sheet two'!C5)

Karenatallied wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Karenatallied

I've been trying to work these suggestions into my formula but i'm not sure
if i am understanding what each argument means to enter it properly.

=HYPERLINK - i understand is the formula

("#"&CELL - does this represent something else other than what it
is... meaning
do i type this in as is or am i supposed to replace
it with an actual cell
reference?

("address",sheetone!C5), - i took this to mean the actual path to the
worksheet and
cell i'm trying to link to.. whe
("address", - means the workbook the sheets are located in

sheetone!C5), - means the sheet name and cell reference
perhaps this is where my mistake is?

sheetone!C5) - being the text in the linked to worksheet/cell being used
as a name
for the hyperlink

so this what i came up with.... but i get a #VALUE! error

=HYPERLINK("#"&CELL("New York",'YTD Income-Summary -
Cons'!A1),"Consolidated")

where "New York" is the workbook both sheets are in
where 'YTD Income-Summary - Cons' is the worksheet i would like to link to
where !A1 is the cell i would like to link to
where "Consolidated" is the name i would like to name the link on the link
from
worksheet

can you tell what it is i'm doing wrong?

thanks.

Karenatallied wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dave Peterson

=HYPERLINK("#"&CELL("address",'YTD Income Summary - ANY'!A1),"ClickMe")

should go to A1 of 'YTD Income Summary - ANY'

(And you said that this is all internal to the workbook--so that name isn't
important.)

Karenatallied wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Karenatallied

i copied and pasted your formula below into my worksheet and now when i hit
enter to accept it, it opens a "open" dialog box. if i click on the folders
to find the workbook again, it causes excel to shut down. just a note, i am
running F9 on this machine, would that interfere at all with this???

Karenatallied wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dave Peterson

I have no idea what F9 is.

Try changing (temporarily) the name of worksheet "ytd income summary - any" to A
(just a single letter).

Then use this:
=HYPERLINK("#"&CELL("address",a!A1),"ClickMe")

Then rename the sheet to what you want.

There's a difference between what you wrote in your message and what that
worksheet is called in real life.

Karenatallied wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Karenatallied

I did as you suggested and voila, it worked. i was able to rename the
worksheet back to it's original name and it still works. thanks so much for
your time and help in getting this to work for me!!! i truly appreciate it.

btw, F9 is a program that works to import our accounting software
information (GL balances and such) into excel worksheets to be calculated and
further manipulated.