Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jillian

Default UPDATING IMPORTED DATA

I am working with Microsoft Excel 2003. I am trying to import(or something
like it) from worksheet (A) to worksheet (B). Worksheet A is a spreadsheet
that I have saved to keep the same row names, etc. but the information within
the named cells is forever changing. I also save the information from
worksheet A, but have another copy that when I open, it always opens without
any changed data in it. MY question/problem is that I need to import the
data from A to B, and every time that A changes, I need B to automatically
update the data and continuously add to the spreadsheet I have made up for B.
I can NOT have A overwrite any data that I have already put into B.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
ufo_pilot

In Worksheet B
choose the cell that needs to read a cell from Worksheet A
hit the = sign now use your mouse to click on the cell in worksheet A
that you want read into B
Or use in WorksheetB Cell A1
=IF('WorksheetA!$A$1<"",WorksheetA!$A$1,"")
(replace cell value ,drag formula ,or copy paste special formula where
needed)
This allows for blank cells to stay blank until used

"Jillian" wrote:

I am working with Microsoft Excel 2003. I am trying to import(or something
like it) from worksheet (A) to worksheet (B). Worksheet A is a spreadsheet
that I have saved to keep the same row names, etc. but the information within
the named cells is forever changing. I also save the information from
worksheet A, but have another copy that when I open, it always opens without
any changed data in it. MY question/problem is that I need to import the
data from A to B, and every time that A changes, I need B to automatically
update the data and continuously add to the spreadsheet I have made up for B.
I can NOT have A overwrite any data that I have already put into B.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jillian

UFO_PILOT-
I TRIED DOING THE FORMULA THAT YOU HAVE GIVEN ME, AND IT PUT ONE PERSON'S
INFORMATION INTO ALL THE CELLS THAT I DRAGGED THE FORMULA INTO. DID I DO
SOMETHING WRONG? NONE OF THE CELLS STAYED BLANK, AND WHEN I CHANGED THE DATA
IN THE FIRST WORKSHEET, THE DATA WAS OVERWRITTEN AGAIN. PLEASE HELP ME
UNDERSTAND WHAT IT IS THAT YOU WANT ME TO DO. MAYBE IT WOULD HELP, BUT MY
WORKSHEET NAMES ARE ACTUALLY: BLANK WO AND CUSTOMER LIST

"Jillian" wrote:

I am working with Microsoft Excel 2003. I am trying to import(or something
like it) from worksheet (A) to worksheet (B). Worksheet A is a spreadsheet
that I have saved to keep the same row names, etc. but the information within
the named cells is forever changing. I also save the information from
worksheet A, but have another copy that when I open, it always opens without
any changed data in it. MY question/problem is that I need to import the
data from A to B, and every time that A changes, I need B to automatically
update the data and continuously add to the spreadsheet I have made up for B.
I can NOT have A overwrite any data that I have already put into B.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jillian

I had a co-worker try to help me with the formula, and he is as stumped as I
am with the reasoning of the formula. My new question now is...can I email
you a fake copy of the two worksheets that I am working on so that you can
fully understand what I am working with and trying to do? And if I can, how
do I get both spreadsheets to email to you in the exact format that they are
currently in.

"Jillian" wrote:

I am working with Microsoft Excel 2003. I am trying to import(or something
like it) from worksheet (A) to worksheet (B). Worksheet A is a spreadsheet
that I have saved to keep the same row names, etc. but the information within
the named cells is forever changing. I also save the information from
worksheet A, but have another copy that when I open, it always opens without
any changed data in it. MY question/problem is that I need to import the
data from A to B, and every time that A changes, I need B to automatically
update the data and continuously add to the spreadsheet I have made up for B.
I can NOT have A overwrite any data that I have already put into B.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Pete

A slight amendment to UFO's formula:

=IF('WorksheetA!A1<"",WorksheetA!A1,"")

If you type this into WorksheetB Cell A1 then copy across and down as
appropriate. This will reflect the values in WorksheetA, though you
might have to format some columns and adjust widths etc.

Hope this helps.

Pete

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dave Peterson

Another slight adjustment <vbg:

=IF('WorksheetA'!A1<"",'WorksheetA'!A1,"")

You don't always need the apostrophes, but if you use one, you'll need both.

If you type them in and excel doesn't need them, excel will get rid of them.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Pete

Thanks, Dave,

I copied the original formula and amended the $ signs - I didn't spot
the single apostrophe.

Pete

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jillian

Do I have to put this formula into each individual cell that I need it in
then? Bc the data that I am transfering over has column and row headers and
I need what is in those column and rows to match the column headers that I
have in the second worksheet?

Pete wrote:

A slight amendment to UFO's formula:

=IF('WorksheetA!A1<"",WorksheetA!A1,"")

If you type this into WorksheetB Cell A1 then copy across and down as
appropriate. This will reflect the values in WorksheetA, though you
might have to format some columns and adjust widths etc.

Hope this helps.

Pete

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jillian

Do I have to put anything within the two quotes right behind the greater
than/less than signs or behind the second !A1?? Because I tried to put it
in, and Excel said that there was an error in the formula.
Also, would it be possible to send someone/anyone a copy of what I am trying
to accomplish so that you can see for yourself what it is that I am looking
at and what I am trying to do? Thank-you!

Pete wrote:

A slight amendment to UFO's formula:

=IF('WorksheetA!A1<"",WorksheetA!A1,"")

If you type this into WorksheetB Cell A1 then copy across and down as
appropriate. This will reflect the values in WorksheetA, though you
might have to format some columns and adjust widths etc.

Hope this helps.

Pete

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dave Peterson

Make sure you use the correct worksheet name and then you can follow the
instructions at Debra Dalgleish's site for how to fill a range.

http://contextures.com/xlDataEntry01.html

Pete wrote:

A slight amendment to UFO's formula:

=IF('WorksheetA!A1<"",WorksheetA!A1,"")

If you type this into WorksheetB Cell A1 then copy across and down as
appropriate. This will reflect the values in WorksheetA, though you
might have to format some columns and adjust widths etc.

Hope this helps.

Pete

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
vezerid

Jillian,

I have spotted your problem since yesterday and I got a completely
different understanding from the one reflected by the suggested
formulas. I did not post b/c I was not sure exactly what you are
looking for. I am sure though that the answer to your problem is
simple.

If you want you can email me the spreadsheet in the following:
vezerid at act dot edu

Regards,
Kostis Vezerides

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jillian

Vezerid,
I have sent you a copy of my spreadsheets, let me know if you have
received them or not, I also sent them to myself at another email address,
but I did not get them yet, so I am hoping that you at least receive them.
Thank-you.
~Jillian~

"vezerid" wrote:

Jillian,

I have spotted your problem since yesterday and I got a completely
different understanding from the one reflected by the suggested
formulas. I did not post b/c I was not sure exactly what you are
looking for. I am sure though that the answer to your problem is
simple.

If you want you can email me the spreadsheet in the following:
vezerid at act dot edu

Regards,
Kostis Vezerides

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jillian

I tried sending copies of my spreadsheets to you...twice. It says that your
email address doesn't exist. It is vezerid @ act.edu, correct??

"vezerid" wrote:

Jillian,

I have spotted your problem since yesterday and I got a completely
different understanding from the one reflected by the suggested
formulas. I did not post b/c I was not sure exactly what you are
looking for. I am sure though that the answer to your problem is
simple.

If you want you can email me the spreadsheet in the following:
vezerid at act dot edu

Regards,
Kostis Vezerides

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
vezerid

Jillian,
I have received your email and have replied with some clarafications
that I need. Both attachments reached me along with the message.

Regards,
Kostis