williamaleng@ti

Default Change format of cells

I have a spreedsheet where the entries can only be Y, N, NA, N/A. or
left blank and the numbers of each are totalled.

Even though the sheet is clearly marked what entries can be used, some
users
of the sheet sometimes enter space Y, instead of Y, or N space A,
instead of
NA, zeroes etc. There are other various errors which result in
incorrect
totals being shown.

How can I get a cell to show an error, if the cell entry is not one of
y, n, na, n/a or left blank.

This would indicate to the user that they have made an error? and then
have to enter again.
I tried conditional formatting but there are only 3 choices, I am
confused.

Can this be done?

Any help greatfuly appreciated.

Regards Bill

--
williamaleng@ti
williamaleng@ti's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=16449

R.VENKATARAMAN

use <data(menu)-validation

in some range of cells e.g. F1 to F4 type y,n,na,n/a
highlight the cells where the user has to enter the value
e.g. A1 to A10
click data-validation
in data validation window choose <settings in the line <allow (cick the
arrow) and choose <list
source---click the reference in the right extreme right in this line and
highlight F1 to F4 and hit enter key.
now in the same data validation window choose <error alert
style <stop
errormessage type some message e.g. "you have typed wrong"
finally click ok

now if you select A1 , there will be a small arrow on the right. he can
choose from the for lpossibilites
If he himself type wrongly it will stop and give an alert message.
same will happen if you click A2 etc upto A10
experiment with this.

in this waht you want

williamaleng@ti wrote in
message ...

[...]

Frank Kabel

Hi
as posted in your original thread: Use Data - Validation. See:

Regards
Frank Kabel
Frankfurt, Germany