Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Brett

Default Complicated

I'm sorry if it's hard to understand what I'm asking about, but here it goes...

I have a spreadsheet organized by reference numbers, and each reference
number has multiple rows that contain data. I have been trying to figure out
a function that will locate the largest value of a certain piece of data for
each reference number.

Here is a generic example of the data...

Ref# data
12vt 2500
12vt 5400
12vt 1500
13vt 200
13vt 145
13vt 300

I need the function to find 5400 as the highest value for 12vt and 300 as
the highest value for 13vt.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Aladin Akyurek

With E2 housing a condition value like 12vt...

=MAX(IF($A$2:$A$7=E2,$B$2:$B$7))

which needs to be confirmed with control+shift+enter, not just with enter.

Brett wrote:
I'm sorry if it's hard to understand what I'm asking about, but here it goes...

I have a spreadsheet organized by reference numbers, and each reference
number has multiple rows that contain data. I have been trying to figure out
a function that will locate the largest value of a certain piece of data for
each reference number.

Here is a generic example of the data...

Ref# data
12vt 2500
12vt 5400
12vt 1500
13vt 200
13vt 145
13vt 300

I need the function to find 5400 as the highest value for 12vt and 300 as
the highest value for 13vt.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Rosenfeld

On Thu, 5 Jan 2006 14:10:02 -0800, "Brett"
wrote:

I'm sorry if it's hard to understand what I'm asking about, but here it goes...

I have a spreadsheet organized by reference numbers, and each reference
number has multiple rows that contain data. I have been trying to figure out
a function that will locate the largest value of a certain piece of data for
each reference number.

Here is a generic example of the data...

Ref# data
12vt 2500
12vt 5400
12vt 1500
13vt 200
13vt 145
13vt 300

I need the function to find 5400 as the highest value for 12vt and 300 as
the highest value for 13vt.

One approach would be to use a pivot table.

Select a single cell in your table.

Data/Pivot Table
You can probably just use the default selections and go directly to Finish.
This will open up a new worksheet.

Drag Ref# to the rows area.
Drag Data to the data area.

Select some cell in the data area, and right-click on it.
Field Settings (from the r-click menu) and change Sum to Max

Check out the possible formatting of the table.

--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Brett

The Pivot Table solution is something I tried, but due to other complications
in the spreadsheet it doesn't work out right (not worth getting into). The
formula from Aladin provided, however, worked great. Here's my next
question...I need to use this function several hundred times, so is there a
way to automatically implement the ctrl+shift+enter all at once? Excel won't
let me copy and paste the formula into multiple rows, and when I try to
extend in down, I just get the original value and have to manually
ctrl+shift+enter to update.

Thanks!