Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Rosenfeld

Default Complicated

On Thu, 5 Jan 2006 14:10:02 -0800, "Brett"
wrote:

I'm sorry if it's hard to understand what I'm asking about, but here it goes...

I have a spreadsheet organized by reference numbers, and each reference
number has multiple rows that contain data. I have been trying to figure out
a function that will locate the largest value of a certain piece of data for
each reference number.

Here is a generic example of the data...

Ref# data
12vt 2500
12vt 5400
12vt 1500
13vt 200
13vt 145
13vt 300

I need the function to find 5400 as the highest value for 12vt and 300 as
the highest value for 13vt.

One approach would be to use a pivot table.

Select a single cell in your table.

Data/Pivot Table
You can probably just use the default selections and go directly to Finish.
This will open up a new worksheet.

Drag Ref# to the rows area.
Drag Data to the data area.

Select some cell in the data area, and right-click on it.
Field Settings (from the r-click menu) and change Sum to Max

Check out the possible formatting of the table.

--ron