Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jovetta

Default i need to get totals in diff catagories

I know just enough about Excel to be dangerous. I have set up a spreadsheet
with text and numbers and I need to break out some of the information from
that sheet into different catagories and total them.

I am not talking about AutoSuming a column, for example : I want to total
the hours I have spent with 65 year old/ hard of hearing people/ who are
working, and then 65 year old/ hear old hard of hearing people/ who are not
working, and also 65 year old/ hearing people/ who are working and 65 year
old /hearing people /who are not working. All that information is already in
my spreadsheet now, i need to break out those catagories.. HOW DO I DO THIS?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
bpeltzer

I think your easiest path will be a pivot table. Select your data, then on
the menu bar Data Pivot Table... When you get to Layout, you can
experiment dropping the different categories in categories / rows. But then
you'll need to bring one item into the Data field. Be sure it comes in as
'Count of xxxx'. If not, double-click on it and change the function that's
applied to Count.

"Jovetta" wrote:

I know just enough about Excel to be dangerous. I have set up a spreadsheet
with text and numbers and I need to break out some of the information from
that sheet into different catagories and total them.

I am not talking about AutoSuming a column, for example : I want to total
the hours I have spent with 65 year old/ hard of hearing people/ who are
working, and then 65 year old/ hear old hard of hearing people/ who are not
working, and also 65 year old/ hearing people/ who are working and 65 year
old /hearing people /who are not working. All that information is already in
my spreadsheet now, i need to break out those catagories.. HOW DO I DO THIS?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bernard Liengme

That depends on how the in formation is entered into your spreadsheet.
Want to reveal that secret?
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme