Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
breadvan579

Default List Validation and Format

Hi, I have cell validation working on my spreadsheet whereby when I
click on a cell, a list of contents (named range) is presented for the
user to select which product is required... no problems here

Due to the list being so long (500 products) I would like to use 'type
ahead' type functionality... for example if I want to select the a
product beginning with P I can simple press P and the list would jump
to products beginning with P, as it stands at present I have to scroll
down using the mouse the product that I am searching for.

Is this possible within Excel ?

Many thanks

--
breadvan579
breadvan579's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=15193

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Debra Dalgleish

Data validation lists don't support autocomplete.

If you can use programming, there are instructions here for adding a
combobox from which you can select one of the values from the data
validation list. In the combobox, you can enable autocomplete:

breadvan579 wrote:
Hi, I have cell validation working on my spreadsheet whereby when I
click on a cell, a list of contents (named range) is presented for the
user to select which product is required... no problems here

Due to the list being so long (500 products) I would like to use 'type
ahead' type functionality... for example if I want to select the a
product beginning with P I can simple press P and the list would jump
to products beginning with P, as it stands at present I have to scroll
down using the mouse the product that I am searching for.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
breadvan579

Thanks for the help Debra - this solved the problem.
Cheers

--
breadvan579
breadvan579's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=15193
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=498062

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
breadvan579

All is working well, but when I try and apply protection to the
worksheet it appears to prevent the Combo box from working.

Can you suggest a simple work around this minor problem.

--
breadvan579
breadvan579's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=15193
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=498062

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Debra Dalgleish

When you protect the worksheet, allow users to edit objects, and unlock
the cells that will be used for data entry.

breadvan579 wrote:
All is working well, but when I try and apply protection to the
worksheet it appears to prevent the Combo box from working.

Can you suggest a simple work around this minor problem.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html