John

Default Custom Format and Data Validation Q

How can I enter a format for a number that will appear when input as
follows, and also have a Data Validation that ensures there is 8 numbers
typed in

0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 (not there is a single space between characters)

I have tried format as Custom # # # # # # # # with a Data Validation of 8 -
but this doesn't work where the first number is Zero, I assume Excel doesn't
recognise the Zero and thinks that there is only 7 numbers enter

I need the spacing between each, thanks

Tim C

The custom format of

0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

would allow you to display leading zeros. But Excel would still drop them
from the value, and would not be able to tell the difference between an
entry with a leading zero's and an entry that was too short.

You could format as text, and then set data validation based on length, but
then you would have to manually enter the spaces. You can't format text.

You could do it with a little programming. If you want to go that route,
others here would be able to assist you.

Tim C