Stonicus

Default Help with a formula

If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

I am trying to set up a formula for excel to look at a letter for a
specific number.
It is actually a rate sheet but each rate has a number associated with
it, A equals 209, b equals 179. I want excel to look at that number and
return a letter code that corresponds to it. If it would be easier I
have table for excel to reference. It basically states the alpha is in
a row and the number is in a corresponding row. I was trying to make is
do something along the lines of this:
If A5=
=IF(C5='worksheet 1 '!A5, then display the number in 'worksheet1 '!C5)

If anyone can help is would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

--
Stonicus
Stonicus's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=16383

BenjieLop

Stonicus Wrote:
If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

I am trying to set up a formula for excel to look at a letter for a
specific number.
It is actually a rate sheet but each rate has a number associated with
it, A equals 209, b equals 179. I want excel to look at that number and
return a letter code that corresponds to it. If it would be easier I
have table for excel to reference. It basically states the alpha is in
a row and the number is in a corresponding row. I was trying to make is
do something along the lines of this:
If A5=
=IF(C5='worksheet 1 '!A5, then display the number in 'worksheet1 '!C5)

If anyone can help is would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

See if this will help you ...

Assumptions:

1. Letters are in Cells A1 to G1;
2. Corresponding numbers are in Cells A2 to G2
3. Cell A5 is where you will enter the number;
4. Cell C5 is where you want the corresponding letter to appear

Solution:

In Cell C5, enter the formula

=lookup(A5,$A$2:$G$2,$A$1:$G$1)

--

[...]