Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
KSGORE

Default Converting hours to minutes

I am new to excel and I need help. I need to convert hours 01:10 to
minutes 70. For one column A. What is the formula and how to I format
it for the whole column not just one cell?

--
KSGORE
KSGORE's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30037

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bob Phillips

Multiply by 1440 (24 hours per day by 60 minutes per hour)

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"KSGORE" wrote in
message ...

I am new to excel and I need help. I need to convert hours 01:10 to
minutes 70. For one column A. What is the formula and how to I format
it for the whole column not just one cell?

--
KSGORE
KSGORE's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=497235

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Gary''s Student

Select column A and pull-down:

Format Cells... Number Custom and enter [m] in the type field
--
Gary's Student

"KSGORE" wrote:

I am new to excel and I need help. I need to convert hours 01:10 to
minutes 70. For one column A. What is the formula and how to I format
it for the whole column not just one cell?

--
KSGORE
KSGORE's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30037
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=497235

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
bpeltzer

To convert a time into a number of minutes, multiply by 1440, then format as
a simple number (comma style, for example) rather than a time. To do this
for a whole series of numbers, type the number 1440 in some random cell.
Copy it. Then select all the times you want converted and Edit Paste
Special. Select the 'multiply' option and click OK. Then apply the
formatting.

BTW, the logic for 1440: Excel stores dates/times as numbers, specially
formatted, with the integer portion being days and the fraction portion being
parts of a day. There are 24 hours in a day, so multiply by 24 to get the
number of hours. Then multiply by 60 to convert hours to minutes.
--Bruce