Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
TKinHawaii

Default Simple, but not for me...help

Trying to set up a simple spreadsheet. Columns A, B, C are client information
Column D is Invoice (current one in dollars) Column E is to be total to date,
for all the invoices in Column D,
adding column D to E each time for a running total. I cannot get this to work.
Is there not a simple way to do this basic function ?

Thanks,

TK
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Duke Carey

In the very first row (let's assume it's row 2), use this formula in E2

=D2

in E3 use

=E2+D3

and copy it down as needed

"TKinHawaii" wrote:

Trying to set up a simple spreadsheet. Columns A, B, C are client information
Column D is Invoice (current one in dollars) Column E is to be total to date,
for all the invoices in Column D,
adding column D to E each time for a running total. I cannot get this to work.
Is there not a simple way to do this basic function ?

Thanks,

TK

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
TKinHawaii

I will have hundreds or rows, I have to copy this formula into each one ?
If that is the case it would be just as easy to use the calculator, add and
insert the number. If the program will not do a simple, ongoing, function
like this.......I am surprised.

Thanks,

TK

"TKinHawaii" wrote:

Trying to set up a simple spreadsheet. Columns A, B, C are client information
Column D is Invoice (current one in dollars) Column E is to be total to date,
for all the invoices in Column D,
adding column D to E each time for a running total. I cannot get this to work.
Is there not a simple way to do this basic function ?

Thanks,

TK

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Duke Carey

OK, it appears you haven't used Excel very much at all.

After you've entered the 2d formula, keep that cell active. Notice at the
bottom right corner of the cell border there is a little square? And when
the mouse hovers over that square it turns into a + symbol, too. Notice
that? Now double click that little square and your formula will be copied
down for you.

"TKinHawaii" wrote:

Trying to set up a simple spreadsheet. Columns A, B, C are client information
Column D is Invoice (current one in dollars) Column E is to be total to date,
for all the invoices in Column D,
adding column D to E each time for a running total. I cannot get this to work.
Is there not a simple way to do this basic function ?

Thanks,

TK

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
TKinHawaii

You are absolutely correct, my experience is LIMITED and at times I think
my brain is limited. The obvious is sometimes unseen by me.

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

TK

"TKinHawaii" wrote:

Trying to set up a simple spreadsheet. Columns A, B, C are client information
Column D is Invoice (current one in dollars) Column E is to be total to date,
for all the invoices in Column D,
adding column D to E each time for a running total. I cannot get this to work.
Is there not a simple way to do this basic function ?

Thanks,

TK

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
TKinHawaii

Tried that and the formula did not carry down, the next colum in the
Total remainded blank.

TK

"TKinHawaii" wrote:

Trying to set up a simple spreadsheet. Columns A, B, C are client information
Column D is Invoice (current one in dollars) Column E is to be total to date,
for all the invoices in Column D,
adding column D to E each time for a running total. I cannot get this to work.
Is there not a simple way to do this basic function ?

Thanks,

TK

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Duke Carey

You have to be sure to click exactly on the little square.

If that doesn't work for you, let the mouse hover over the little square.
When the mouse pointer changes to a +, left click on the square and WHILE
HOLDING THE LEFT MOUSE BUTTON DOWN drag the mouse down the column to copy the
formula to all the cells where you want it.

"TKinHawaii" wrote:

Trying to set up a simple spreadsheet. Columns A, B, C are client information
Column D is Invoice (current one in dollars) Column E is to be total to date,
for all the invoices in Column D,
adding column D to E each time for a running total. I cannot get this to work.
Is there not a simple way to do this basic function ?

Thanks,

TK

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
TKinHawaii

No luck, that does not seem to work either. My son, who is a programmer,
although not a MS expert, tried yesterday and he could not get the function
or formula to work.

Damn, should be so simple.

TK

"TKinHawaii" wrote:

Trying to set up a simple spreadsheet. Columns A, B, C are client information
Column D is Invoice (current one in dollars) Column E is to be total to date,
for all the invoices in Column D,
adding column D to E each time for a running total. I cannot get this to work.
Is there not a simple way to do this basic function ?

Thanks,

TK

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Duke Carey

Well, another option is to select the cell with the formula, then press
Ctrl-c. You should see the border of the cell change to moving line

Now select the cells where you want the formula to appear and press Ctrl-v
to paste the formula

"TKinHawaii" wrote:

Trying to set up a simple spreadsheet. Columns A, B, C are client information
Column D is Invoice (current one in dollars) Column E is to be total to date,
for all the invoices in Column D,
adding column D to E each time for a running total. I cannot get this to work.
Is there not a simple way to do this basic function ?

Thanks,

TK

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
TKinHawaii

Thanks,

Once I get this to work, can I put the formula in all the TOTAL boxes
all the way down the page, maybe 200+ of them ?

TK