ken

Default LEFT formula doesn't works..

A B
one two three =
four five six =

How to filter text so that in cells B1 = two and cell B2 = six

Thanks in advance.

Frank Kabel

Hi Ken#
you may explain the underlying logic of this. why do you want in B1 the
second number and in B2 the third one?

"ken" wrote:

A B
one two three =
four five six =

How to filter text so that in cells B1 = two and cell B2 = six

Thanks in advance.

ken

I've tried =left(a1,6) in B1 the answer is "one two". What I want is only
word "two" for B1 and "six" for B2.

Look forward for the exact answer.
Thanks

"ken" wrote:

A B
one two three =
four five six =

How to filter text so that in cells B1 = two and cell B2 = six

Thanks in advance.

Frank Kabel

Hi
if you can hardcode the starting position and ending position have a look at
the MID and the RIGHT function

"ken" wrote:

A B
one two three =
four five six =

How to filter text so that in cells B1 = two and cell B2 = six

Thanks in advance.

Philippe L. Balmanno

You can use MID for the A1 and this is why. Think about starting at the
position the first letter is at then how many letters you want from there.

one two three (A1)
1234567890123
10s
=MID(A1,5,3) = two
You can't use the RIGHT as the format is RIGHT(text,num_chars) =RIGHT(A1,9)
= two three
And, you can't use LEFT as =LEFT(A1,7) = two three

However for A2, you can use one of two formulas only.

four five six (A2)
123456789
=MID(A2,11,3) = six
=RIGHT(A2,3) = six
=LEFT(A2,13) = four five six

"ken" wrote:

A B
one two three =
four five six =

How to filter text so that in cells B1 = two and cell B2 = six

Thanks in advance.

ken

Binggooo! You've spotted the right solutions...
Cheers :)

Many thanks for helping me to solve this problem.