Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
DiaboluS

Default Need to link/combine 5 worksheets into 1 (inventory nightmare)

I have 5 worksheets of inventory for 5 different depts.
All have only 3 columns - PART NO / DESC / PRICE
Each dept updates their worksheet daily.
How can I link all 5 worksheets into 1 common worksheet with same 3 columns
so I have a total inventory for whole company. Common worksheet should update
itself when any dept. worksheet is updated.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CLR

I would vote for a single inventory sheet with a fourth column, DEPARTMENT.

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"DiaboluS" wrote in message
I have 5 worksheets of inventory for 5 different depts.
All have only 3 columns - PART NO / DESC / PRICE
Each dept updates their worksheet daily.
How can I link all 5 worksheets into 1 common worksheet with same 3

columns
so I have a total inventory for whole company. Common worksheet should

update
itself when any dept. worksheet is updated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Coderre

You might be able to use MS Query to consolidate Excel ranges from your
multiple wkbks/wkshts. This also works for consolidating data from the
active workbook (Just save it first so Excel can find it):

My example uses 5 ranges named in 5 different workbooks.
(Each ranges contain 4 columns: Dept, PartNum, Desc, Price)

Assumptions:
-The data in each wkbk is structured like a table:
---Col headings (Dept, PartNum, Desc, Price)
---Columns are in the same order.

-The data in each wkbk must be named ranges.
---I used rng1111Data for dept 1111's data, rng2222Data for dept 2222, etc
---You may use the same range name in different wkbks.

(Note: MS Query may display warnings about it's ability to show the query
....ignore them and proceed.)

Starting with an empty worksheet:
1)Select the cell where you want the consolidated data to start

2)DataImport External DataNew Database Query Databases: Excel Files

-Browse to one of The files, pick The data range and columns to import.
---Accept defaults until the next step.

-At The last screen select The View data/Edit The Query option.

-Click the [SQL] button

-Replace the displayed SQL code with an adapted version of this:

SELECT *
FROM `C:\Inventories\Dept1111`.rng1111Data
union all
SELECT *
FROM `C:\Inventories\Dept2222`.rng2222Data
union all
SELECT *
FROM `C:\Inventories\Dept3333`.rng3333Data
union all
SELECT *
FROM `C:\Inventories\Dept5555`.rng4444Data
union all
SELECT *
FROM `C:\Inventories\Dept5555`.rng5555Data

Return the data to Excel.

Once that is done....to get the latest data just click in the data range
then DataRefresh Data.

You can edit the query at any time to add/remove data sources and/or fields.

Something you can use?

Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP-Pro