Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
rosygucci

Default CAPITALIZONG FIRST LETTER OF EACH WORD IN A TITLE

Hi, I am trying to find a way of capitalizing the first letter of every word
in an excel listing of music. i tried the function that was suggested to me
in the help =proper(cell#) and it does not work. please someone help me. i am
going crazy!!! i need to know where to point when i am applying the function.
i ahve a list of 2000 lines in excel to fdo and would like to do it the
quickest possible.
thank you
rosy
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peo Sjoblom

When you say it does not work what do you mean, if you have some words in A1
and you do

=PROPER(A1)

what do you get and what did you expect to get?

Peo Sjoblom

"rosygucci" wrote in message
Hi, I am trying to find a way of capitalizing the first letter of every

word
in an excel listing of music. i tried the function that was suggested to

me
in the help =proper(cell#) and it does not work. please someone help me. i

am
going crazy!!! i need to know where to point when i am applying the

function.
i ahve a list of 2000 lines in excel to fdo and would like to do it the
quickest possible.
thank you
rosy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Coderre

I think you'll need to define "does not work".

If....
A1: jingle bells
A2: =PROPER(A1)
then A2 displays Jingle Bells

If you want to replace the original with the Proper Case then...
Select A2
EditCopy
Select A1
EditPaste SpecialValues

A1 wil now be Jingle Bells

Does that help?

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP-Pro

"rosygucci" wrote:

Hi, I am trying to find a way of capitalizing the first letter of every word
in an excel listing of music. i tried the function that was suggested to me
in the help =proper(cell#) and it does not work. please someone help me. i am
going crazy!!! i need to know where to point when i am applying the function.
i ahve a list of 2000 lines in excel to fdo and would like to do it the
quickest possible.
thank you
rosy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
William Horton

The PROPER function should do the trick for you. In a blank cell type
=PROPER(A1) and hit enter. Whatever is in cell A1 should now show up in the
blank cell with the first letter of each word capitalized. After you get the
cells populated correctly you will probably want to select them all, choose
edit copy, and then edit paste special / values.

What does some of your data (cells) look like? There needs to be a space or
something between the words for PROPER to work correctly. Give us an example
of a cell that contains music data and we may be able to help you a little
better.

Bill Horton

"rosygucci" wrote:

Hi, I am trying to find a way of capitalizing the first letter of every word
in an excel listing of music. i tried the function that was suggested to me
in the help =proper(cell#) and it does not work. please someone help me. i am
going crazy!!! i need to know where to point when i am applying the function.
i ahve a list of 2000 lines in excel to fdo and would like to do it the
quickest possible.
thank you
rosy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jason

If you have your list in column A, you would type in your formula in
column B and have it refer to cells in column A.

Here's an example:

A B
1 FIRST TITLE =PROPER(A1)
2 SECOND TITLE =PROPER(A2)

B1 would show First Title, B2 would show Second Title. Copy the
formula down column B to end of your list in column A.

Hope this helps.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
rosygucci

i have a list in excel, i want to capitalize all the list (the first letter
of each word) (2000 rows of songs) do i highlight the whole thing and do
=proper ??????
do i have to do it line by line. what i mean by does not work is , if i put
my cursor in one cell and i click fx ,then go to proper on the line that i am
pointing at i see the = sign and the ( ) where i should put the line i want
to edit , which gives me a 0 in that space, do you know what i mean. if
however i choose the following line for example it does tha capitalizong for
that line and not the line i ariginally put the cursor on, i'm sure i am
doing something wrong. excuse my ignorance on this matter but i am fairly new
and don't understad all this programming language, i would a prreciate a step
by step account of WHAT TO DO, i am helpless, thank you for your patience
rosy

"rosygucci" wrote:

Hi, I am trying to find a way of capitalizing the first letter of every word
in an excel listing of music. i tried the function that was suggested to me
in the help =proper(cell#) and it does not work. please someone help me. i am
going crazy!!! i need to know where to point when i am applying the function.
i ahve a list of 2000 lines in excel to fdo and would like to do it the
quickest possible.
thank you
rosy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
rosygucci

thank you for all your suggestions but this is what happens when i do it now.
i added a new blank column, then i pointed my cusor as to highlight that
blank column ( at the top of the column where it says ex.col. "B") then i
went to Fx to enter mu function of =proper ( ) I highlight the whole column
number" A "(where my data is entered to be corrected with the caps problem)
it only copies one line at a time. can i do the whole column at once?????
thank you very much you have been very helpfull
rosy

"rosygucci" wrote:

Hi, I am trying to find a way of capitalizing the first letter of every word
in an excel listing of music. i tried the function that was suggested to me
in the help =proper(cell#) and it does not work. please someone help me. i am
going crazy!!! i need to know where to point when i am applying the function.
i ahve a list of 2000 lines in excel to fdo and would like to do it the
quickest possible.
thank you
rosy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Coderre

Rosy

The PROPER() function changes text between the parentheses into
"proper"case. That text can either be typed in within quotes like this
=PROPER("jingle bells") or it can be a cell reference without the quotes like
this =PROPER(A1).

Use what you described to us:
If the text is in Cell A1, you don't start with that cell. You start in a
blank cell, try B1.

Click the FX icon
Select PROPER
In the Text input area of the Function Arguments window...click on the cell
with the text you want to convert to proper case.(for instance, cell A1)
Then click [OK]

Does that help?

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP-Pro

"rosygucci" wrote:

Hi, I am trying to find a way of capitalizing the first letter of every word
in an excel listing of music. i tried the function that was suggested to me
in the help =proper(cell#) and it does not work. please someone help me. i am
going crazy!!! i need to know where to point when i am applying the function.
i ahve a list of 2000 lines in excel to fdo and would like to do it the
quickest possible.
thank you
rosy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Gord Dibben

And after you have the formula =PROPER(A1) in B1 you must copy it down column
B as far as you have data in column A

The easiest way to do this if you have no blank cells in your Column A data
range is to hover the mouse pointer over the bottom right corner of B1.

When you see a black arrow double-click on that.

Your formula will be incremented down Column B.

Alternative.....click on the small black square at bottom right corner of B1
and drag down column B as far as you wish.

If no black square or arrow on B1 go to ToolsOptionsEdit and checkmark
"Allow cell drag and drop"

Make sure ToolsOptionsCalculation is set to "Automatic".

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

"rosygucci" wrote:

Hi, I am trying to find a way of capitalizing the first letter of every word
in an excel listing of music. i tried the function that was suggested to me
in the help =proper(cell#) and it does not work. please someone help me. i am
going crazy!!! i need to know where to point when i am applying the function.
i ahve a list of 2000 lines in excel to fdo and would like to do it the
quickest possible.
thank you
rosy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
rosygucci

thank you very much , i did it it works, now i have another problem, when i
want to get rid of the old column it deletes both column, what is the trick
now? thankyou again this was very helpful,
rosy

"rosygucci" wrote:

Hi, I am trying to find a way of capitalizing the first letter of every word
in an excel listing of music. i tried the function that was suggested to me
in the help =proper(cell#) and it does not work. please someone help me. i am
going crazy!!! i need to know where to point when i am applying the function.
i ahve a list of 2000 lines in excel to fdo and would like to do it the
quickest possible.
thank you
rosy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
rosygucci

ok, ok, so excited did it all and all worked fine, thank you so very much ,
you saved me a whole lot of work!!!!!! merry christmas to you all and have a
happy new year!!!!
rosy

"rosygucci" wrote:

Hi, I am trying to find a way of capitalizing the first letter of every word
in an excel listing of music. i tried the function that was suggested to me
in the help =proper(cell#) and it does not work. please someone help me. i am
going crazy!!! i need to know where to point when i am applying the function.
i ahve a list of 2000 lines in excel to fdo and would like to do it the
quickest possible.
thank you
rosy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
SVC

When you delete the old column (column A), what is happening in the new
column (column B) is that the function =PROPER is interpreting the content
of the old column as blank (e.g. cell A1 is now nothing). So you will have
nothing in the new column.

To get the new column (column B) to display correctly, copy the new column
and then use Edit Paste Special, Value to copy directly over the data in
the new column. Now you can delete the old column without losing the content
of the new column.

"rosygucci" wrote:

Hi, I am trying to find a way of capitalizing the first letter of every word
in an excel listing of music. i tried the function that was suggested to me
in the help =proper(cell#) and it does not work. please someone help me. i am
going crazy!!! i need to know where to point when i am applying the function.
i ahve a list of 2000 lines in excel to fdo and would like to do it the
quickest possible.
thank you
rosy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
David McRitchie

Which is a good reason to use a macro and be done with the
job by simply selecting your columns and using a macro that
restricts itself to the text cells (and therefore the used area).
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/proper.htm

---
HTH,

"SVC" wrote i...
When you delete the old column (column A), what is happening in the new
column (column B) is that the function =PROPER is interpreting the content [clipped]