Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Laura

Default sum calculation

I am trying to do a project budget and I'm adding 2 cells that are not next
to each other in the spreadsheet. I do the automatic sum calculation with
this formula- Sum(R122,R183). A non value appears.
I did the long version of picking it through the Insert Function box. The
cells are chosen, and the formula result displays the correct total of the
two boxes. Click OK and the non value appears.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Niek Otten

Your vales ARE text, although they look like numbers.
Select an empty cell. EditCopy.
Select your "numbers"
EditPaste special, check Add
Now they ARE numbers

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten

"Laura" wrote in message
I am trying to do a project budget and I'm adding 2 cells that are not next
to each other in the spreadsheet. I do the automatic sum calculation with
this formula- Sum(R122,R183). A non value appears.
I did the long version of picking it through the Insert Function box. The
cells are chosen, and the formula result displays the correct total of the
two boxes. Click OK and the non value appears.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Tom Ogilvy

sum should have an equal sign before it:

=Sum(R122,R183)

the cell should be formatted as General. Prior to entering the formula.

Tom Ogilvy

"Laura" wrote in message
I am trying to do a project budget and I'm adding 2 cells that are not

next
to each other in the spreadsheet. I do the automatic sum calculation with
this formula- Sum(R122,R183). A non value appears.
I did the long version of picking it through the Insert Function box. The
cells are chosen, and the formula result displays the correct total of the
two boxes. Click OK and the non value appears.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Gord Dibben

Laura

"Non value" meaning 0 or what?

Very possible your "numbers" in R122 and R183 are text.

Format as General then copy an empty cell(also formatted as General).

Select R122 and R183 and Paste SpecialAddOKEsc.

Should now be real numbers.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP