Stuart Bisset

Default Calculation Setting in Excel

I would like to suggest that the calculation setting in Excel is changed so
that rather than being an application level setting it becomes a workbook
level setting. ie a user could have several workbooks open, each with
different calculation settings (automatic, manual, etc). When a workbook is
saved and closed the most recent calculation setting would be remembered by
excel. This request stems from the following problem:

1. Lets say I have a small workbook (even a blank workbook) open with
calculation set to automatic.
2. Next I open a large workbook which runs a VBA procedure upon opening.
Part of that procedure is to set the calculation to manual because the model
is too big to leave it on automatic.
3. However, because of the 1st model being open the 2nd model wants to
perform a full recalculation before running the auto_open code.
4. This makes the 2nd model appear to be VERY slow and I usually interupt
the calculation by, say, pressing CAPS LOCK which then allows the auto_open
procedure to run.
5. Pressing CAPS LOCK works for me because I know to do that now but when
other users (who are not so experienced with Excel) use my model they don't
know to do this, so they end up with the view that the model is slow to open
which is inaccurate.

Another way of achieving this would simply be to allow auto_open macros to
run before a full recalculation is performed upon opening a model.

click "I Agree" in the message pane.