Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
SueJB

Default Syntax for IF with multiple criteria

Hello all

Would any kind soul help me here? I've read all the posts around this but
they're just not sinking in today.

I need to put a text value in column C based on a numerical value in column
B based on:

If B2=4,8,10 or 12 then C2="Jones" else C2="Smith"

I'm sure it will be simple :-(

Thanks in advance
Sue
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peo Sjoblom

One way

=IF(OR(B2={4,8,10,12}),"Jones","Smith")

Peo Sjoblom

"SueJB" wrote in message
Hello all

Would any kind soul help me here? I've read all the posts around this but
they're just not sinking in today.

I need to put a text value in column C based on a numerical value in

column
B based on:

If B2=4,8,10 or 12 then C2="Jones" else C2="Smith"

I'm sure it will be simple :-(

Thanks in advance
Sue

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
BenjieLop

Hi Sue,

Try this ...

=IF(OR(B2=4,B2=8,B2=10,B2=12),\"JONES\",\"SMITH\")

Regards.

--
BenjieLop

BenjieLop's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=11019
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=494922

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
SueJB

Works perfectly, many thanks Peo!

Sue

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

One way

=IF(OR(B2={4,8,10,12}),"Jones","Smith")

Peo Sjoblom

"SueJB" wrote in message
Hello all

Would any kind soul help me here? I've read all the posts around this but
they're just not sinking in today.

I need to put a text value in column C based on a numerical value in

column
B based on:

If B2=4,8,10 or 12 then C2="Jones" else C2="Smith"

I'm sure it will be simple :-(

Thanks in advance
Sue

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bernard Liengme

Can you please explain the point of the backward slashes in your formula?
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"BenjieLop" wrote
in message ...

SueJB Wrote:
Hello all

Would any kind soul help me here? I've read all the posts around this
but
they're just not sinking in today.

I need to put a text value in column C based on a numerical value in
column
B based on:

If B2=4,8,10 or 12 then C2="Jones" else C2="Smith"

I'm sure it will be simple :-(

Thanks in advance
Sue

--
BenjieLop

BenjieLop's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=494922

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dave Peterson

I think they're coming from the way the message is posted. BenjieLop uses that
web based CDO stuff.

I'm not sure if it's some formatting that being changed or just an "escape"
character for the double quotes.

I've seen other posts (I forget the authoring tool) that bold some characters.
But the bolding is changed to leading/trailing asterisks. This is *bold*.

(It's kind of irritating, huh?)

SueJB Wrote:
Hello all

Would any kind soul help me here? I've read all the posts around this
but
they're just not sinking in today.

I need to put a text value in column C based on a numerical value in
column
B based on:

If B2=4,8,10 or 12 then C2="Jones" else C2="Smith"

I'm sure it will be simple :-(

Thanks in advance
Sue

--
BenjieLop

BenjieLop's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=494922

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
BenjieLop

Bernard,

I did not have any back slashes in the formula that I suggested. All I
had were quotation marks and nothing more. I really do not know where
the back slashes came from.

Regards.