Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Phillycheese5

Default Select Largest 5 in A, AVG values in B

I'm looking for the formula that will use the largest 5 values in column
A and average the corresponding values in column B. I tried this...

=AVERAGE(IF(A1:A500LARGE(A1:A500,5),B1:B500))

which gave me an answer which was close, but not exact as to when I did
it manually; so something is off.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Phillycheese5

--
Phillycheese5
Phillycheese5's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24196

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Chip Pearson

The following array formula will return the average of the 5
largest values in B1:B20:

=AVERAGE(LARGE(B1:B20,ROW(INDIRECT("1:5"))))

Since this is an array formula, you must press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER
rather than just ENTER when you first enter the formula and when
you edit it later. If you do this, Excel will display the formula
in the formula bar enclosed in curly braces {}.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"Phillycheese5"

wrote in message
news:Phillycheese5.20ayco_1135021204.1445@excelfor um-nospam.com...

I'm looking for the formula that will use the largest 5 values
in column
A and average the corresponding values in column B. I tried
this...

=AVERAGE(IF(A1:A500LARGE(A1:A500,5),B1:B500))

which gave me an answer which was close, but not exact as to
when I did
it manually; so something is off.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Phillycheese5

--
Phillycheese5
Phillycheese5's Profile:
View this thread:

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
David Billigmeier

You have to use greater than or equal to, instead of just greater than:

=AVERAGE(IF(A1:A500=LARGE(A1:A500,5),B1:B500))

Still array entered (CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER)

Dave

"Phillycheese5" wrote:

I'm looking for the formula that will use the largest 5 values in column
A and average the corresponding values in column B. I tried this...

=AVERAGE(IF(A1:A500LARGE(A1:A500,5),B1:B500))

which gave me an answer which was close, but not exact as to when I did
it manually; so something is off.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Phillycheese5

--
Phillycheese5
Phillycheese5's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24196
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=494679

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Phillycheese5

Nothing beats self-teaching...

Apparently I need to say "greater than the 6th largest value" which
would give me the largest 5. In case anyone was interested, here is
the formula that works:

=AVERAGE(IF(B3:B500LARGE(B3:B500,6),D3:D500)) ...use CSE.

--
Phillycheese5
Phillycheese5's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24196
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=494679

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Rosenfeld

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 13:39:11 -0600, Phillycheese5
wrote:

I'm looking for the formula that will use the largest 5 values in column
A and average the corresponding values in column B. I tried this...

=AVERAGE(IF(A1:A500LARGE(A1:A500,5),B1:B500))

which gave me an answer which was close, but not exact as to when I did
it manually; so something is off.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Phillycheese5

Something like:

=SUMIF(A1:A500,"="&LARGE(A1:A500,5),B1:B500) / 5

--ron