Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
mark d davis

Default EXCEL.SUM OF DIFFERENT COLUMS AND LINES ON DIFFERENT SHEET REPEAT

if sheet one colum c has tobacco,gas,food, ect. and colum d has totals of day
and there repeated lines like this down the colum. how do I get the sum of
all lines that say tobacco, or gas, or food, ect to auto compute on another
sheet?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Coderre

Here are 2 ways:

Use a Pivot Table where the layout would be:
ROWS: Category
DATA: Sum of Totals

or a formula like this would do it:

=SUMIF(C1:C100,"food",D1:D100)
returns the total for "food" lines.

Adjust range references to suit your situation.

Does that help?

***********
Regards,
Ron

"mark d davis" wrote:

if sheet one colum c has tobacco,gas,food, ect. and colum d has totals of day
and there repeated lines like this down the colum. how do I get the sum of
all lines that say tobacco, or gas, or food, ect to auto compute on another
sheet?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Coderre

Default Clarification

If you want the items on Sheet1 summarized on Sheet2, then on Sheet2 the
formula would be more like this:

=SUMIF(Sheet1!C1:C100,"food",Sheet1!D1:D100)
returns the total for "food" lines.

and if on Sheet2:
A1: Food
B1: =SUMIF(Sheet1!C1:C100,A1,Sheet1!D1:D100)
returns the total of Food items from Sheet1

***********
Regards,
Ron

"mark d davis" wrote:

if sheet one colum c has tobacco,gas,food, ect. and colum d has totals of day
and there repeated lines like this down the colum. how do I get the sum of
all lines that say tobacco, or gas, or food, ect to auto compute on another
sheet?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
mark d davis

this didnt seem to work. I copied and past the formula. and tried typing it
in. cant seem to get it to work. any other ideas.

"mark d davis" wrote:

if sheet one colum c has tobacco,gas,food, ect. and colum d has totals of day
and there repeated lines like this down the colum. how do I get the sum of
all lines that say tobacco, or gas, or food, ect to auto compute on another
sheet?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Coderre

It's difficult to figure out what's not working without more details.
Can you post an example of the formula you are trying to use along with any
other pertinent information: sheet names, ranges, etc?

***********
Regards,
Ron

"mark d davis" wrote:

if sheet one colum c has tobacco,gas,food, ect. and colum d has totals of day
and there repeated lines like this down the colum. how do I get the sum of
all lines that say tobacco, or gas, or food, ect to auto compute on another
sheet?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
mark d davis

sheet one:shift reports completed. there is a lot of information on the
sheet. I need to transfer each total so that i can use it for sales tax and
other business reasons. I dont need it to total yet. just transfer without
copy and past each one of them.. if you have an email i will send you a
sample sheet. mine is .
thank you
mark davis
starts close to the top of page and goes forever. two reports per day. this
is not all the information on the sheet.
Phone card $0.00
Groceries $250.00
Food $354.00
Tobacco $1,257.00
Gas $2,587.00
Diesel $538.00
Off road $879.00
Kerosene $130.00

"mark d davis" wrote:

if sheet one colum c has tobacco,gas,food, ect. and colum d has totals of day
and there repeated lines like this down the colum. how do I get the sum of
all lines that say tobacco, or gas, or food, ect to auto compute on another
sheet?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Coderre

OK, Mark....See if this works for you: