Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Copy that formula down through M14

M15: =SUM(M2:M14)

Does that help?

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP-Pro

"mark d davis" wrote:

sheet one:shift reports completed. there is a lot of information on the
sheet. I need to transfer each total so that i can use it for sales tax and
other business reasons. I dont need it to total yet. just transfer without
copy and past each one of them.. if you have an email i will send you a
sample sheet. mine is .
thank you
mark davis
starts close to the top of page and goes forever. two reports per day. this
is not all the information on the sheet.
Phone card $0.00
Groceries $250.00
Food $354.00
Tobacco $1,257.00
Gas $2,587.00
Diesel $538.00
Off road $879.00
Kerosene $130.00

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

It's difficult to figure out what's not working without more details.
Can you post an example of the formula you are trying to use along with any
other pertinent information: sheet names, ranges, etc?

***********
Regards,
Ron

"mark d davis" wrote:

this didnt seem to work. I copied and past the formula. and tried typing it
in. cant seem to get it to work. any other ideas.

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

If you want the items on Sheet1 summarized on Sheet2, then on Sheet2 the
formula would be more like this:

=SUMIF(Sheet1!C1:C100,"food",Sheet1!D1:D100)
returns the total for "food" lines.

and if on Sheet2:
A1: Food
B1: =SUMIF(Sheet1!C1:C100,A1,Sheet1!D1:D100)
returns the total of Food items from Sheet1

***********
Regards,
Ron

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

Here are 2 ways:

Use a Pivot Table where the layout would be:
ROWS: Category
DATA: Sum of Totals

or a formula like this would do it:

=SUMIF(C1:C100,"food",D1:D100)
returns the total for "food" lines.

Adjust range references to suit your situation.

Does that help?

Regards,
Ron

"mark d davis" wrote:

if sheet one colum c has tobacco,gas,food, ect. and colum d has totals of day
and there repeated lines like this down the colum. how do I get the sum of
all lines that say tobacco, or gas, or food, ect to auto compute on another
sheet?