Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Joe Gieder

Default Excel And Multiple CPU

I use Excel for all of my estimating, my files are quit large and contain
thousands of formulas. Over time as the spreadsheet grows it becomes slower
and slower to calculate. I was using a Dell computer with 1gb mem, 3.4ghz cpu
and Windows XP SP2, one file in particular takes over 1.5 hours to calculate
using this machine. I upgraded (I thought) to a Dell dual cpu XEON 3.2mhz
machine with 2gb memory and Windows XP SP2. This was no faster, actually now
it takes 1 hour and 45 minutes to calculate. Is there anything I can do to
make things faster? Does Excel take full advantage of dual cpus? I would
appreciate any advice.

Thank you in advance
Joe Gieder
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Roland

If you use a lot of VLOOKUPS, array formulas, and SUMIF formulas, look at the
ranges involved and try to reduce the ranges.

"Joe Gieder" wrote:

I use Excel for all of my estimating, my files are quit large and contain
thousands of formulas. Over time as the spreadsheet grows it becomes slower
and slower to calculate. I was using a Dell computer with 1gb mem, 3.4ghz cpu
and Windows XP SP2, one file in particular takes over 1.5 hours to calculate
using this machine. I upgraded (I thought) to a Dell dual cpu XEON 3.2mhz
machine with 2gb memory and Windows XP SP2. This was no faster, actually now
it takes 1 hour and 45 minutes to calculate. Is there anything I can do to
make things faster? Does Excel take full advantage of dual cpus? I would
appreciate any advice.

Thank you in advance
Joe Gieder

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions